Sprocket combo

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:32 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Sprocket combo

Hey has anyone tried a 16tooth front - 42tooth rear on a 2016 KLX250? need feedback on other combos

Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Is a 16T even available? Regardless, I don't think it would allow chain clearance at the case. The 15T barely clears.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I think someone made a 16T work, but it wasn't easy. Go 15/39 if you're looking for 16/42.

Look in the FAQs (linked in my sig) and search "sprocket". Here's feedback on other combos: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-length-42553/

Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Hey IDRIDR...what did they have to do to get a 16T to work? The guy I bought my '06 KLX from back in '09 had street tires on it and a 15T front sprocket. That's been awhile, but I remember looking at that clearance behind the cover and thinking that if one little thing goes wrong...like a small rock jammed in there from a gravel road...there's going to be some case damage. In fact, didn't we see an example of something like that some years ago where that very thing happened? Been too long for me to remember exactly.

Anyway, if a 16T exists, it seems like you'd have to run without the bolts that hold the cover on and the small inner guard that is factory mounted. But I'm too lazy to go out and pull mine off to confirm it....LOL!

Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Hey IDRIDR...what did they have to do to get a 16T to work? The guy I bought my '06 KLX from back in '09 had street tires on it and a 15T front sprocket. That's been awhile, but I remember looking at that clearance behind the cover and thinking that if one little thing goes wrong...like a small rock jammed in there from a gravel road...there's going to be some case damage. In fact, didn't we see an example of something like that some years ago where that very thing happened? Been too long for me to remember exactly.

Anyway, if a 16T exists, it seems like you'd have to run without the bolts that hold the cover on and the small inner guard that is factory mounted. But I'm too lazy to go out and pull mine off to confirm it....LOL!

That thread was from a LONG time ago and my old memory is fading. If I'm recalling correctly, they ran without the case saver and were warned of the risks you detail. A chain break or a rock could be devastating.

Old 10-09-2019, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I think someone made a 16T work, but it wasn't easy. Go 15/39 if you're looking for 16/42.

Look in the FAQs (linked in my sig) and search "sprocket". Here's feedback on other combos: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...-length-42553/
Hey guys thanks - I will forget the 16t sprocket and go for the 15t/39t combo

Old 10-09-2019, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I've run a 15/39, wouldn't shift into 6th until around 60 mph or more. Could cruise at 70, but a headwind or rise would call for a downshift. I have a 39T sprocket with maybe 100 miles use I'd let loose for $15 plus shipping. I have a street bike and won't be using the sprocket again. Fits all KLX250 regardless of year.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks I may purchase it from you - Ok I'm trying to get the maximum top speed on-road by changing sprockets only - any ideas?

Old 10-10-2019, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

If you search around here, you'll find others who've tried the same. The little 250 has only so many horsies (around 18 hp) and top speed will be limited thusly. You're battling mass and drag. My first suggestion would be to try a 15T front sprocket (as an inexpensive part with no chain length change needed) and observe any real velocity improvements. Some here have suggested they actually increased maximum speed with lower gears as they were able to get the bike to rev higher in top gear. Good Luck.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
If you search around here, you'll find others who've tried the same. The little 250 has only so many horsies (around 18 hp) and top speed will be limited thusly. You're battling mass and drag. My first suggestion would be to try a 15T front sprocket (as an inexpensive part with no chain length change needed) and observe any real velocity improvements. Some here have suggested they actually increased maximum speed with lower gears as they were able to get the bike to rev higher in top gear. Good Luck.
Thanks for the info - I will try the 15t sprocket and give you the feedback - wil be about 3 weeks before I can try it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Sprocket combo