Sprocket & Chain Life on a KLX 300S

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Sprocket & Chain Life on a KLX 300S

Hello Forum,

If I use my KLX 300 mostly mostly on the street, and a little bit here and there for some light back roads and trails. Also, 6 months of the year it’s in storage for winter. About how many years should I expect getting out of my sprockets and my chain?

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2021, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

At least 15,000 miles. That's what I'd get on the O-ring chain on my KLX650 - with really lousy maintenance. Just don't overtighten the chain, it is better to run a shade loose than even a bit too tight. The KLX chain would have run longer but a lot of my riding was dirt/gravel road riding, lots of dirt on the chain and sprockets.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Your going to need a battery tendor or charge it at least once a month.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Huh? What’s a battery have to do with chain or sprocket?

Old 10-25-2021, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
At least 15,000 miles. That's what I'd get on the O-ring chain on my KLX650 - with really lousy maintenance. Just don't overtighten the chain, it is better to run a shade loose than even a bit too tight. The KLX chain would have run longer but a lot of my riding was dirt/gravel road riding, lots of dirt on the chain and sprockets.
so, around 15,000 miles on an O ring, but they don’t come stock with those types of chains do they? So, it should be less?

Old 10-25-2021, 10:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure they do come with an O-ring chain. Look at the links, you should see the O-ring between the outer plate and inner plate of the links.

Only way it wouldn't have one is if someone replaced. Only racers and tight wads run non-O-ring chains. Racers, because there is less drag which means less power loss - but then again they take off the chains to clean and lube them after every race day or more often. Tight wads, because non-O-ring chain is far lower cost, problem is they need extremely frequent lubing and cleaning or they trash out fast.

Old 10-25-2021, 11:10 AM
1st Gear Member

U sound like a newbie, worrying how long a chain is going to last on your new bike. If you don't put a charger on your battery, that is going to be your first issue. Long before the chain is even dirty it sounds like, since it's in storage for months.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
U sound like a newbie, worrying how long a chain is going to last on your new bike. If you don't put a charger on your battery, that is going to be your first issue. Long before the chain is even dirty it sounds like, since it's in storage for months.
Newbie to dual sports. Grew up on kickstart dirt bikes. But, now I am 45 and will be buying a KLX 300 in the Spring. I will disconnect the battery in the fall and store it in the house over the winter.

Old 10-25-2021, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

See, well now you have a battery. And you'll be getting a battery tender soon.

Old 10-26-2021, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

I may or may not be a tight wad but I run a non O-ring chain on my KLX. O ring chains do have more drag. The 250 isn't exactly in great excess of power. And I prefer the ponies go to the ground rather than turn a chain with slightly moee drag. Also, fuel range would be slightly longer with a non O-ring chain. Yes it requires more maintenance and yes it'll wear out faster than an O-ring chain. I'm not saying I'm right and they're wrong. Nor vice versa. Strictly personal preference.

Quick Reply: Sprocket & Chain Life on a KLX 300S