Springs for 135 lb rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Springs for 135 lb rider

I was curious to know if anyone has properly set up their suspension and they weigh about 135 lbs? I am going to lower my wifes 250S and then set the race sag. I looked at RaceTech and they don't list the 2006 KLX250S so what other bike in the Kawasaki line uses the same suspension in order to get accurate results with their calculator for springs?
Thanks,
db

Old 06-27-2007, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Springs for 135 lb rider

http://www.moto-pro.com/

they have S springs.

If using lowring links to lower it then really you cant set the sag correctly because you will sagging more than you should.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member

I weigh 142lbs and put in the moto-pro 5.2 kg rear spring. The rear came down about 1.5 inches and I was able to set the sag perfectly without resorting to the lowering kit.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I lowered the bike with links and weigh 140 pounds. Loved the changeds to allow dabbing in the dirt. Sadly i found the links gave me some changes I did not appreciate. I was now bottoming the stock shock spring!!! The link creates more leverage on the shock shaft giving the spring a lower felt rate. Even with sag at 3 inches and compression dampning turned up i was bottoming on things that were not major hits. I lowered the front all the way to the taper tpo maintain the correct geometry and found the front end would not stick for love nor money.

I'm only 5'5" so really would love to keep the links on. However today i changed them back to stock in search of better handling. Now if i just plodded along trails I guess I would not complain and think they were a perfect solution. Sadly for those that push a bit on the trail they may not be perfect. Just an FYI on my experience with links.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have the links yet as they are "in the mail" but did some quick checks today.
Unloaded (on jack) 23 1/2 inches
Static (on ground) 22 inches
Loaded 20 3/8"
Race Sag 3 1/8"

I didn't adjust anything else yet as I figure I will just have to do it again after I try the links. If the links give her the correct height I can proceed with a new spring.
Thanks for the link and other info,
db

Old 06-29-2007, 07:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Forgot to add this:
I changed into my super motard rims and did a two up 500KM canyon ride on the street. Sag was set to 3 1/4 inches and when slinging it through the corners it was rubbing the upper chain roller bad. 1/2 way through the ride the top roller was broken off.

I believe the additional leverage the longer links are adding to the spring is causing it to be waaaay too soft for two up riding.

I'm leaving tomorrow to Laos on a two week run with Motard rims and tires with the suspension put back to stock (stock links, 4 inches of sag, and forks protruding threough the top of the triple clamps 1/8 inch. Around town the suspension feels much more responsive than with the link and forks raised. I will convert back to dirt rims whenb i get back from the trip to give a dirt comparison of stock versus lowered with links.

Having said all this if the most important thing for your wife is to touch her toes then utilize the links. Nothing like her riding a bike she is uncomfortable on to ruin the day for both of you.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I reset the sag to 3 1/2 inches yesterday and her feet touch better. I think her main problem is getting on the bike as once she is on it she does fine. Once (last week) she stopped with her front tire on a small hill and her feet weren't touching the ground so the weight overcame her ability to hold the bike and she dumped it. Yesterday she made a quick stop and the somehow droppped it again. This was in the yard so no damage. I'm gonna re-adjust and see if I can get the recommended 4" of race sag and see how she does before I do anything drastic. I might have to buy the correct rear shock spring to get the rear set up correct but the front springs seem about right for her weight as they arent too stiff from the factory.
Thanks,
db

Old 06-29-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Davebert - front springs are perferct for me at 140 for jungle riding here in Thailand. Sounds like she's just starting out so get that bike as low as she can for her confidence. if you can get 4 1/2 inches of sag out of the shock she will love you. Get some bar risers to move the bars an inch higher then you can drop the front end to keep the chassis as balanced as possible. The seat also has 1 1/2 inches of foam that could be easily shaved off. This will be my last option if the seat hieght is too high for me with the stock links put back on.

Good luck.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I put the links on yesterday and lowered the front all it could go until the risers get here and the race sag stayed the same as I had it at 3 1/2" so that was good. She is happy now as the bike is lowered and she feels like she has more control. Too bad it rained so she couldn't test it out. I will let her try it at 3 1/2" sag and then once the risers get here I will try to get the required 3.9 or 4" sag set. If she is happy will all of that I may get the correct rear spring and maybe even have the shock rebuilt with the lowering spacer...
Thanks,
db

Old 07-11-2007, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

if i were to replace the front fork springs... what all would i need to get? new oil? seals? revalving kit?

im about 200 lbs... they call for a 0.42 front spring on their website

Quick Reply: Springs for 135 lb rider