Spring upgrades! 331, D606, GPS, and more!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Spring upgrades! 331, D606, GPS, and more!

I'm running 10w40 standard motorcycle oil for the first 1000 kms or so.
I believe nobrakes said his jug was also blasted like mine... They just do that without asking.
I don't mind - you really can barely tell the difference between the cylinder and the head.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Are you talking about the cylinder rusting? I've never seen or heard of that before. But here it is on the bench and installed:

I honestly didn't give it a second thought.

BTW, the KTM cylinder has no paint on it, it is far more noticably different from the rest of the engine than the Kustom-Kraft cylinder. I think you are wringing your hands over nothing.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

What are the jugs made out of? Don't want to sound stupid, but it looks like aluminum to me, or of it's some kind of steel it's a very light colored alloy of some sort? I thought it was an aluminum alloy.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Its aluminum, which does not rust. It may get some whitish oxidation at worst, but I doubt it. They have been using unpainted or coated aluminum for cylinders & heads for eons.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Here's a little better shot of the KLX cylinder done by Kustom-Kraft. Seems fine to me, I'm not sure if it has any sealant on it or not, it's sometimes hard to tell, especially a flat clear coat. You could call up Marvin at KK and check, though, I'm sure he'd let you know.

And FWIW, here's the KTM cylinder. It doesn't appear to be coated with anything. Excuse the mud. But the cylinder section is noticably different from the head and the bottom end.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That aint right.[8D]

Old 03-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

That aint right.[8D]
Yeah, I should have warned you deej, sorry.

Like you, I did find out I'm kind've obsessive compulsive though, not in a cleaning way, but double checking stuff and then double checking again. Someone had a cartoon of a guy with a flashlight checking the light switch to make sure it was actually off. That's me. Last weekend I did a valve check on my KTM and did an adjustment on 3 out of 4 valves. Well, after it was all back together and I'd actually ran it for a bit, I kept wondering if I torqued down the valve rocker screw counter bolt on one of the exhaust valves - the nut that holds the adjusting screw in place. I kept telling myself that I was sure I did, positive. And I was 99% sure I did. But I wasn't 100% sure - that 1% started bugging me and I knew that even though it was probably fine it would bug the hell out of me until I pulled the thing back apart all the way down to expose that nut and check it. So I did. And sure enough it was tightened properly.

I've had a suspiscion that I have a trace of that OCD stuff, but I think this incident proves it. There've been other similar ones too. Like when I did my big bore upgrade I kept wondering if I had my piston installed correctly after it was all bolted up and the head torqued down and ready to fire it up. Good thing I took pictures because I just referred to those and it showed the piston installed in the proper orientation. I wonder ... without the photo, would I have taken it all apart to check? I was 99.99% sure I put it in right because that was part of the check list - piston in the right direction. The world may never know (or care).

But at least now I can have peace.

And you all thought I photographed this stuff for YOUR benefit. Now my secret is out, I do it so I can verify that I actually put it back together correctly otherwise I'll drive myself insane wondering and ultimately have to take it apart again just to check. [&:]

Quick Reply: Spring upgrades! 331, D606, GPS, and more!