spring rates

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default spring rates

I'm looking into tuning the suspension for better performance. moto-pro's site www.moto-pro.com has a calculator to determine the recommended spring rate for your bike, riding style and weight. I sent them an email asking a few questions but haven't heard back from them yet (I know, some companies sometimes won't answer emails, but a phone call will usually get the answers).

So, anyway, here arethe questions I asked moto-pro.Someone here might have the answers to them, or comments/opinions on them.

- For the weight of the rider, is that the weight with or without gear (helmet, boots, armor, ....)?

- If the weight comes in at the borderline of where a spring rate changes, should I go with the spring for the higher or lower weight? For instance, let's say my weight is 203-204#. The spring for the 203# person is a 5.8 whereas the spring for a 204# person is a 6.0 -- which one should be choosen?

- I've lowered my bike by installing shorter links. How, if at all, does this change the calculations?

- The stock spring rate for my bike is 5.8 and the calculated spring is 5.8 Is there any advantages to changing it to your product? ...how are they different?

- Do you provide "clicker" settings? At least an estimate as to where to begin?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: spring rates

Generally when I want to get some information from a company I get on the phone, I find that most company’s response to e-mails is poor (if at all) at best.
The weight will be your all up weight with all your gear + your body weight.

Remember that there chart is just a guideline, the spring rates that are most suitable for you depend a lot on what you want as much as your body’s specifications so if you come in borderline you can decide if you want the springs stiffer or softer keeping in mind that the KLX is no MX racer.
Bike ride height and spring rates are generally two separate measurements that don’t relate much to one another.
You will find that one rate from one manufacturer is likely going to be different then the same rate from another but unless you are in competition on a light weight performance bike you probably won’t be able to tell much of difference where the tire meets the road/dirt.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's Moto Pro's response:

Hi Dan,

The weight we want to use in the spring generator is your street cloths weight. The generator has a factor in it for the weight of riding gear. If your suspension was stock height and we were to lower it internally with a travel reducing spacer we would use the lower spring rate because the advancing linkage ( due to lowering) requires slightly less spring rate. Lowering links create some problems and are generally a bad idea because relocation of the bolt holes changes the linkage leverage ratio. Obviously we need the whole bike to measure the altered ratio and this is often not as desirable a leverage ratio as stock. Moto Pro does not manufacture lowering links because these changes are not a good fit for most riders. The proper way to lower is the travel reduction method. This requires shock disassembly and when combined with an Ultra Max shock valving system provides the best combination of plush ride, bottoming resistance, traction and the overall feeling of control.

Your stock shock spring tests at 5.8 kg/mm and is basically a good spring if you are the proper weight. You do need to change your fork springs to a higher rate. When we install valving kits and perform our custom work everything is documented on your set up sheet. We have installed our Ultra Max kits and springs in numerous KLX 250s and the transformation is amazing. You can have dirt bike quality suspension on your dual sport. If you have more questions call me at 800-277-5089. Thanks for your questions.

Thanks,
John Minnich
President

Moto Pro Suspension

Old 10-05-2007, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

mooredan I believe vrf pilot had the suspension work done by these guys, so maybe shoot him a pm.
This is also in my future, so I'm paying close attention here. good luck