Sport bike to KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sport bike to KLX250

I currently own a GSX-R600 and I love it. Problem is I don't use it too much... With the new legislation here and my growing maturity, it doesn't make sense anymore to ride at 160 mph with the knee on the ground. Since riding a sport bike 'normally' is a bit boring (and incorfortable) I think more and more often to switch it for something else. Actually, switching it for a KLX250. I think it could be more pleasant to commute to work (in traffic) with a more relaxing position. Also, I will be able to explore new horizon during the weekend. However, I'm a bit worried switching it. I don't want to have regret loosing a so nice machine...

So, somebody here sold his sport bike to buy a KLX250!?!?!? Do you have any regrets?

BTW, I have a offer for my bike and I have until tomorrow to give to the guy a response.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
Default RE: Sport bike to KLX250

I think if your commute is in heave traffic you will love the KLX! I have several bikes including sport bikes and the KLX is better than a sport bike any day in traffic but if the road opens up you will miss your 600. The Kawasaki 250 is a great trail bike that is street legal and is really fun on city streets and in traffic but it's not great at all at highway speeds where you are cruising at 70+. The KLX is at it's limit and feels a little "flighty" and not near as planted as a 600 sport bike.

Good luck with your decision, there is a lot of guys on here that have moved down form bigger bikes for different reasons and if it is right for you willthat depends on how you ride and what you expect.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:54 AM

I did not sell my sportbike but I now only drive it usually on really nice weekend days and prefer to use my KLX for my office commute because of the comfort level compared to my sportbike. Plus if you really want to be sporty you can just invest in a second set of rims for some motard fun.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Having owned a GSXR1100 I know the true feeling of power oh to well and loved it on the open highway and winding mountain roads but after riding the KLX I don't miss the GSXR at all to be honest. Off road the KLX is a blast and I use mine as a commuter to and from work all the time taking short cuts when I can LOL. I would say though take both the KLX450 and 250 for a spin to get a feel on both and make a choice from there.
Cheers!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:02 AM
1st Gear Member

sport bikes are played .dual sportsbikes with steet tires are bad @ss.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:19 AM

I'm trying to have the best of both worlds. I love my Ducati 848 and I love my new KLX. Each serves a different purpose. I commute to work on the KLX, and am looking forward to some dual-sport rides on it. I pick my spots to have fun on the Duc. In second gear it can exceed the top speed of the little KLX.

The experiences are night and day apart, but both are very fun in their own unique ways!

Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

like i posted ones before better to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike.( coppers love sports bikes)

Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I havent sold the sports bike (CBR600f4i) but since owning the KLX250 and getting the second set of wheels (motard), the Honda has sat idle in the garage unless the missus and I go somewhere 2up.

The speed ***** here make it near impossible to commute on anything without copping a rediculous fine (last fine 64kmh in a 60 zone... dont get me started on speeding fines [:@]). When riding the Honda i'm just counting the days i still have my licence. I think the f4i is a better setup than most sports bikes ergonimics wise, but like you I dont find it fun nor comfortable trolling around at the speed limit. Also, as im getting older Im losing interest in scaring myself going so fast around corners in the twisties on the thing. I guess I have a different view on my own mortality, Ive realised Im not 10' tall and bulletproof .

The KLX has been great fun and all at some safer speeds. With 2 sets of wheels (or a dual sport tyre setup) I feel its the best of both worlds. For commuting, its comfortable and upright, and sits up a fair bit higher than a sports bike so visibility in traffic is excellent.

My only gripe about the KLX is the lack of grunt on the freeway, particularly into a head wind. I've got a 331 big bore kit to install, but I havent wanted the bike off the road long enough yet to install it! I reckon once I do a couple of mods (big bore, pipe, jetting) the freeway thing wont be an issue. Also, while having a small tank compared to the Honda, Im not filling up that much more frequently since its so much better on the juice (honda around 210-220km til reserve, KLX 170-180km til reserve).

I say go for the KLX with the understanding it will feel gutless in comparison to a sports bike and life will be travelling a bit slower (but no less fun). If not you are just guaranteeing dispointment. And while I havent sold the Honda yet, the thought has crossed my mind. Now if I can convince the missus to get a licence and KLX of her own....

Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi, I had a sport bike before and I can tell you that you will miss the power and the acceleration.
I went to a 650 first, then a 250. I was decided to go to a 250 because I like tight wood and the power is useless there.
If you want to commute and do gravel road/sand pit go with a 450 or so, if you want a light bike to play in the wood go with a 250.
My 2 cents!
P.S. look how many people talk about 300cc+ kit for the klx!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey Zig, get the lil klx an sell the sportbike.....then consider a big adv type thumper...just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Sport bike to KLX250