Spoke tension

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
So when I coast with no hands and the bike pulls to the left, would this be a result of improperly torqued spokes? I've never touched my spokes but I have noticed the bike now pulls to the left when I ride with no hands.
Most likely wheel alignment. Are the forks twisted in the yokes a tad? (Easy fix and a common problem when yo have a small get off.)

Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
So when I coast with no hands and the bike pulls to the left, would this be a result of improperly torqued spokes? I've never touched my spokes but I have noticed the bike now pulls to the left when I ride with no hands.
Sounds more like an alginment issue. Forks could be a tad tweaked or the front wheel axle is off center.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh Lord... figures as much. Think its just a minor tweak; that I could loosen the bolts and retorque them and it line back up? Or tweak as in its bent?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

It's common for the forks to rotate in the yokes on small get offs, very rare to bend the forks. As you suggest loosen it all off then realign an torque it all back up.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
It's common for the forks to rotate in the yokes on small get offs, very rare to bend the forks. As you suggest loosen it all off then realign an torque it all back up.
I think this has happened to me.

Do you just loosen all the bolts and then grab the bars and bang the front wheel on the proper side? Would it be better to just bang it on the stops on the forks?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Never touch the spokes! Let them fall out if there too loose but if you dare touch them your wheel go wobble wobble.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I did this today and I'm not sure if it made a difference... it'll still lean to the left sometimes when I coast with no hands, but other times it tracks straight... so it could just be the way I sit on the bike or the left side might just be heavier or it could just be the roads... who knows...

Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Bet your right handed so you will naturally corner to the left harder than the right and I'll bet your tires are worn more on the left side than the right, hence the tendancy for your bike to pull to the left with no hands on the bars (tut tut).

Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldphart
Bet your right handed so you will naturally corner to the left harder than the right and I'll bet your tires are worn more on the left side than the right, hence the tendancy for your bike to pull to the left with no hands on the bars (tut tut).
WOW... that's good! I do take left turns harder (and tend to crash to the left) so I bet that's it... I've got 3000 miles on my tires.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Wasn't meant as a joke, tis a fact, why do flattrackers turn left, why does NASCAR turn left, because 90% of the population is right handed. Even your feet and your eyes are predominantley one sided. Just thought I'd throw that in to mess with you. Oh and a properly crowned road is 4% to the right so hands off a vehicle should theoreticaly pull to the right.

Quick Reply: Spoke tension