Speedometer out...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

Adding a GPS seems like a sloppy solution, and engine RPM has nothing at all to do with speedometer readout. Speedometer readout runs off the front tire by either magnets or gears. Since this is a magnet situation, only solution is to tell the brain it's a different size tire. On some bike speedo's this is a simple adjustment no worse than setting the time on a clock, just enter a menu and switch a number. On others it can be difficult, in this case I dunno which, but some guru on here will know I'm sure, and my post will put you back on top for more reviews

Old 08-19-2010, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have an Iphone there are several speedometer apps that is what I used to see if my speedo was off. I dont think there is anything the Iphone doesnt do.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I know a lot of guys I used to ride sport bikes with would buy bicycle speedo's and attach to the front rim. There are some out there that will measure up to 80 or 90 mph. Just find one and install it and problem solved.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Well... I don't need GPS, I know where I am and where I'm going, just not sure how fast..
Bicycle speedo? Don't think that'll work well...
iPhone I have, just difficult to hold it and ride the same time

So I decided, going with the calibration gizmo here http://www.12oclocklabs.com/

This way I keep my current speedo, and it's easy to reset should I switch to offroad wheels with 21" up front. I'm thinking about getting another set of wheels for some dirty play

I'll update when the deed is done

Old 08-20-2010, 11:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Gads this all sounds kind of off the wall.

You might see if the 250 or 500 Ninja speedo drive could be a fit, likely to find a used one of those is much better if it will fit. Could even see if the older ones using 16" wheels would be right based on tire diameter and it would be easier to get ahold of a drive to test it. Real good chance that's all it is, a speedo drive geared to give the reading for the 17, where yours is geared for the 21. Who knows, maybe the gears might be able to be swapped out if the housings are slightly different. Do some digging.

That is exactly the remedy for anyone who ever bought a standard dual sport Suzuki DRz400S and put 17s on it, a friend did just that before the Suzuki SM. All he did was buy the gear drive for the hub - presto - nearly perfect speedo reading... Well, as close as Suzuki had it for the DRz400SM.

Otherwise I'd get a bicycle speedo and use it for the cost involved. They're programmable and low buck. I have one on my SR500 project bike.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

klx678...
I dug, I dug deep. Deeply dug did I.
21" wheel and 17" wheel uses the same sensor, it's the speedometer thats different. I could try every Kawasaki speed sensor known to mankind, how much will that cost me? I don't have a supply of these items in my garage unfortunately

Old 08-21-2010, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

hey Borischan also check out:

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
http://www.yellr.com/

I'm not sure if they will fit the KLX or not but these are two other options potentially available. not sure on the $$ either but good luck

Old 08-21-2010, 07:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSUdude85
hey Borischan also check out:

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/
http://www.yellr.com/

I'm not sure if they will fit the KLX or not but these are two other options potentially available. not sure on the $$ either but good luck
Thanks for the links. I checked speedohealer before, only seems to be listed for '09 models and onward.
The yellow box does the same thing as the 12oclocklabs.com item, which I ordered yesterday.

The guy at 12oclocklabs was surprised that my '03 has a digital speedo, USA models had analogue? Mine is a Japanese model.
Anyway, I should be able to report in a few days.....hopefully

Old 08-21-2010, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Borischan
Or stick my iPhone on the handlebars..
Might as well seeing as you can't make phone calls with an iphone

Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bsj425
I dont think there is anything the Iphone doesnt do.
They don't do phone calls

Quick Reply: Speedometer out...