Specifics on 06-7 fork and shock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Default Specifics on 06-7 fork and shock?

I've been trying to find the compression and rebound info on the fork and shock for my newly aquired 07. Dealer told me there are no fork adjustments and only the spring sag setting for the shock.

I've searched the forum, but can't find anything specific to this model H7F.

Anybody have this info?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

All I know is my 09 has screws in the bottom of the forks. 12 clicks from all the way in is factory.

Rear shock has a rebound screw in the bottom opposite side of the chain, 8 clicks is factory.

Compression screw on the side of the reservoir on the top 16 clicks is factory.

Hope I helped....

Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

The forks have a compression adjustment at the bottom of each side. And the rear shock has a sag, compression, and re-bound adjustment.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Those compression adjusters at the bottom of the fork are sometimes hard to pick out. There's a rubber plug/cover that you have to pry out with a small screwdriver or such to access them. The rebound is totally internal and not tuneable by **** or screw. Changing oil viscosity is the only way to manipulate rebound on this fork.

Frankly the compression adjuster on the '06/'07 fork...and probably the '09 and later too...does little overall to the performance of the fork. The compression piston is ridiculously restrictive that compression spiking is the norm for any serious terrain on this bike. I did a Race Tech revalve on the fork and shock internals, and the fork was taken to a whole other level of compliance and big hit performance...the shock too. I can't believe that Kawasaki used the compression piston they did in this fork. Until you get the oil flowing more freely in the compression piston, the compression adjuster yields minimal results, and valve stack gets to do little work.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Red face

Kawasaki claims they changed the valving and oil a in the front shocks of the 09 for road purpose in the FS model. I have found they do make a big difference in dive. I never drove any other year.

David

Old 09-22-2010, 08:38 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
Kawasaki claims they changed the valving and oil a in the front shocks of the 09 for road purpose in the FS model. I have found they do make a big difference in dive. I never drove any other year.

David
I can see them changing up valving and such on a motard setup...it would be logical. Sorry...missed the "F" in your H number there.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks guys. I was wondering where the clickers were. But it looks like Race Tech doesn't do the 06-7 KLXs.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM

I can only find one possible control on the shock. On the top of the shock. And the spring adjustment. There's a schrader valve at the bottom. What's that for?

Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bikemechanic53
I can only find one possible control on the shock. On the top of the shock. And the spring adjustment. There's a schrader valve at the bottom. What's that for?
Schrader valve on the bottom?...doesn't sound right unless that's a whole other fork. I am no authority on F models, but I thought they changed little for the sake of $$$ on those models.

On the Race Tech deal, yes they do offer the complete Gold Valve kit for the '06/'07 KLX250S...it's the same one for an '06 KLX 300 and some other years. I even asked the tech about this, and he said they won't qualify that the kits will interchange, because the bikes are not exactly the same. However, he stated that the fork and shock are basically the same KYB units and all parts will interchange. The valving for an '06 300 for both ends of the bike worked perfectly for me. The fork spring recommendation was spot on too. I went with a 6.0 rear shock over the recommended 5.8 that comes stock due to the slightly increased weight of the 250S and my sit down riding style. It was perfect.

All that said, if your's is a motard model, I'm not sure how dirt valving will really be ideal for that model. I'd probably go with MotoPro or such to get some kind of custom valving to suit you. The Race Tech KLX300 stuff was a perfect fit to my '06 250. Both those models have the exact same travel too. Not sure how the '09 and later will work, as that bike has about an inch less travel on both ends. The '06/'07 KLX250S were really close to the KLX300 in many respects.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

bikemechanic53 I think you have an aftermarket shock.

I am going with what came with the bike. I messed with the screws on front and rear for a couple hundred miles. Then I put them back to factory recommended and the bike handled awesome. On the right side of the rear tire I have small chicken strip on the left I have none. What a hoot to drive!

5th gear, 10,000 rpm 84 mph. Its geared perfect. 60 mph 6200 or so rpm 6th anything slower is 5th.

Does this thing have a rev limiter? I read the manual before I picked up the bike saw nothing.

On my older bike it was the intake valve. Expen$ive.

David

Last edited by David R; 09-23-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Specifics on 06-7 fork and shock?