Soon to be KLX250 owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Soon to be KLX250 owner with some questions

First off I would like to say that this forum is great. I have been searching around and reading a lot of posts and have come to the conclusion that the KLX250 is the bike for me.

I decided that buying it new was the way to go because I can do the break in and also maintain it correctly (im a freak about that stuff). Also I don’t have $3000 on me for a used bike. I have read some stuff about the Kawasaki warranty and think I want it. I mean I like working on my bikes but I would not say im a pro. I have never checked my valves (had a CRF150 for a year) but it doesn’t sound too hard. But the warranty could cover the big stuff. From what I have read 300 is a fair price for the warranty (the 4 year one), correct?

Now the other part of the warranty… mods. I want to get the full muzzy exhaust, dyno jet kit along with the air box mod so that the bike runs correct and not lean as hell (had to do the same thing for my CRF). But from what it sounds like, a slip on is the only thing that will not “void” the warranty? I also would like to put a 13 tooth front sprocket on, hope that doesn’t cause a problem too.

I live in Michigan (metro Detroit area) so if anyone knows of any dealers (stealers) that are fair, shoot them my way. My plan is to buy the bike at the end of the season and try to find a dealer that wants to get rid of the 2007’s and will do anything to get rid of it. So a warranty and gear may get thrown in with a lower price, but that’s a probably not gonna happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Nick
[sm=patriot.gif]

Old 09-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Soon to be KLX250 owner with some questions

Hey Nick, welcome to the forums, A couple of thoughts. The warranty for me was $440.00, but I think the dealer has some discretion there. And the Full muzzy or any pipe will not void the warranty. Don't let anyone tell you that doing your own maintenance or adding a different pipe will void the warranty. If they tell you that, go to another dealer. Even Kawasaki can't tell you that, and if truth be told they would rather people experiment and be happy with thier productthan be disappointed with the bike and buy a different one. Trust me mods are the drugs of the motorcycle world. If you get to know your dealer and talk to them, I'm sure they will give you the thumbs up on doing any mods you want. Its not like any shop is going to turn down warranty work because you did some tuning on your own. A lot of us went with the 13 tooth, and even more have bumped up the rear to a 45, 47, 48. Because I get excited talking to noobs about my bike I will just say that you will not be disappointed as long as you realize that stock it might not be as good as it can be with a few mods. Good luck

Old 09-14-2007, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome!

Its a great bike for sure. It can hold its on even with some of us heavyweights on the forum. What I would do is research the **** out of this forum for each mod you want to do (ie exhaust, gearing, jetting). Once you figure out what you want, research some more to be sure thats what you want. For instance a muzzy system is excellent, however you'll apparently lose some bottom end torque by switching out the header.

Good luck!

Old 09-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

welcome to KF.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the help! Ya im still in the process of the research part. I would really like to see some dyno runs with the muzzy to prove the loss of low end and how much it really is. From what I read, it's just a little bit of low end.

Anyone know of a good Michigan dealer?

-Nick

Old 09-15-2007, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Seen This?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Masson

Thanks for all the help! Ya im still in the process of the research part. I would really like to see some dyno runs with the muzzy to prove the loss of low end and how much it really is. From what I read, it's just a little bit of low end.

Anyone know of a good Michigan dealer?

-Nick
Hey, I'm glad to see someone else here from Michigan. Where are you relative to Detroit? I've been looking for people to ride with, so let me know when you get that bike.

Don't go to Rosenau Powersports in Dearborn. Their pricing is pretty high, and they won't really budge at all. Also, their customer service skills are horrible. You could try Motorcity Powersports on in Bloomfield. PM me if you want more info about this.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I live in southeast mi I have nothing but good things to say about this bike! My is modified somewhat though. I also have a house up north and on the way up north off of 75 there is a dealership in flint that has a new 06 out front ever time I ride by. I think its called nor ride or something like that. You could get it pretty cheap I would think. As far as riding i'll have to email fan about it sorry bad week!

Kevin

Old 09-15-2007, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

try Dynamic powersports in Eastpoint. They are pretty reasonable. Dont go to Macomb powersports. They are a bunch of rip-offs.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Oops Dan not fan!

Quick Reply: Soon to be KLX250 owner with some questions