Some info on the Trailtech Vapor

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Some info on the Trailtech Vapor

Here's some info about finding power source for the Trailtech vapor install.

You can get a constant power (that is not interupted by the key) and a ground in the ingition switch plug. Release the wire pins from the plug and I then soldered the Vapor wire directly to the back of the pin and then reinstalled. Use the White wire for 12v+ and the wire next to it (I think it was black with green) for the Ground in this connector. You should also put the ground for the tach signal in with the wires.

You can find a signal for the tach in the gauge cluster plug. Use the blue wire in there . Pull the wire out like the others and solder the red Vapor tach lead to the pin on the blue wire and re-install. This saves you from having to run the wire down to the spark plug or coil.

Installed Vapor.

Name:  DSC03024.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  46.5 KB

Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Some info on the Trailtech Vapor

Nice idea! I never liked that wire that went down and wrapped around the spark plug feed.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I had it wrapped around the plug wire until I thought DUH! the bike already had an electronic controled tach in the stock cluster. A couple rounds with the meter to find the wire and there you have it.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, wrapping around the plug wire isn't very reliable in my experience. I'll be ordering an RPM/Temp/Voltage gauge soon and will be using the direct-wired method as well.

I also went with extracting the wires from the connector/soldering when I installed my heated grips, but if I had to do it again I'll be using Posi-Lock brand, Posi-tap wire taps. They cost a bit more than regular splices, but they work much better, are environmentally resistant, they don't damage the wire and are re-usable. You can also get them in the 'Posi-tite' completely submersable water-proof version.

http://www.posi-lock.com/installer.cfm

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

I had it wrapped around the plug wire until I thought DUH! the bike already had an electronic controled tach in the stock cluster. A couple rounds with the meter to find the wire and there you have it.