Solution To hard to start issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Solution To hard to start issues?

Yes i know this topic is out there many times, but i noticed that someone posted this on my thread. Will this work? Will it not rust the carb?

Originally Posted by Adrlnjunkie
i had the same problem. my problem was a dirty/clogged pilot jet. i pulled out my carb, removed all the plastic parts, removed the jets and boiled the carb and jets in water for 10 min. now it starts up on first crank everytime, hot or cold.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

It seems like a long shot at best. I doubt it would rust anything though as long as you dried it thoroughly and got fuel running back through it.

I wouldn't do it though.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems like a lot of work for little added benefit. Getting the jets out can be a PIA, you could just take the float bowl off and squirt cleaner into the jets and hope to get whatever is causing the clog. The main jet and pilot jet are not really used when starting the engine cold during use of the "choke" ****. and FYI - The starter jet is not removable either.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 AM
1st Gear Member

How bad is the problem? My approach to hard starting is to 1. insure a full battery is there for the work 2. let carb fill (assuming it was ran dry when put away) 3. have a beer
4. pull choke 5. start bike. If failure.... have another beer while charging battery (happened once.)
Seems these bikes are finicky and variant in their "coldness". I have a friend who purchased 2 off the lot. 1 runs fine starts no problem. 1 is a PITA.

I usually start my bike a day or two before a trip, it has never failed me with that. I also put a iridium plug in for good luck... no proof that is better or not.,.. but its there.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

How many turns out are you on your fuel screw?

Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
How many turns out are you on your fuel screw?
1.5 to 2.5 have moved it many times and its the same.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

They all say drill out the choke jet and the problem goes away. I have read a .018" bit. I had my carb apart and did not drill it because I had no bit. I also have no starting problems. I will drill it next time I have my fat fingers in the carb.

do a search here.

David

Old 10-15-2010, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

None of these little tricks to get it to start will work if your carb is not getting the right amount of fuel. If your carb and jets are clogged due to tarnished jets or gummed gas, you have to clean it properly to fix your problem. I've tried just just spraying carb cleaner into the bowl and jets...it did nothing.

Fix your problem once and for all, fully clean your carb. Remove your carb and jets, soak it in carb cleaner then boil it. Dry it off and give it a coat of wd-40. My bike never fails to start up on first crank hot or cold.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-15-2010, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I would not hesitate to give it a shot of starting fluid. Once it fires, It should be fine anyhow.

Good luck getting it in the snorkel with out pulling the seat

The all answer is drill out the choke jet. More choke = better start.

David

Quick Reply: Solution To hard to start issues?