Sold my KLX and bought...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mmurray70
I guess the guage and stuff is a little nicer on the klx. And it does suck that you cant get the DRZ E engine in a dual purpose too. But a street legal E model with a Vapor computer (thats the way i bought mine) is a really nice setup.

This is so true. Nobody makes what we need. Most experianced riders would want something in the 400-500cc range. And I think most would probably trade some power for reliability and lower maintenance. Kawasaki, honda, yamaha dont even make a bike this size. The only option is the DRZ, which needs 6th gear. Leaving us no other choice but to go to a KTM to get the perfect dual sport bike. And then we end up with way more maintenance for no real reason because most of us dont need the power of a race engine anyway. Its hard to imagine that the 4 Jap brands havent realized the need for this type of bike. Maybe they will figure it out someday.
The big 4 could easily build this bike, but they don't perceive a market big enough to justify it. As interested as we are about something like this, they're probably right as far as big numbers go. Even realizing that, "the one that got away" scenario that has always befuddled me is Honda's XR650R. With the slightest engine detune (or not), some street legal electrics, and an e-start, Honda could have had the KTM690 competitor of all time. They had a most excellent platform to build that bike without reinventing the wheel...or a totally new model. You just know the "paper pushing numbers crunchers" put the brakes on such a model because of a marketing numbers formula.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

My DR650 is the reason I got the KLX250S. I LOVE my DR, but it's just too big and heavy for anything more than two-track trails... especially at my size (170, 5'8, 29" inseam). I lowered it 2.5" over stock which helps, but still it's not enough due to the weight. If it starts to go over, it's going. I can catch the KLX, but not the DR. The KLX is infinitely more maneuverable.

The DR650 is a great companion bike to the KLX, like if you want to do extended touring and still a fair amount of non-technical dirt. But if you replace your KLX with one and you aren't a big guy and/or have a LOT of hard-core dirt experience, you may be disappointed.

I'd love a KTM 350 EXC-W too, but $$$$. Sigh.

Rob

Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Husqvarna TR 650 Terra... looks nice.

Someone loan me $9k so I can try it.

In addition to debuting the Husqvarna TR 650 Strada, our favorite German-owned Italian-based Scandinavian-branded motorcycle company has released a 21-inch-wheeled version of the Strada that is destined for more off-road use. They call it the Husqvarna TR 650 Terra. Using the same 652cc water-cooled single-cylinder DOHC motor, the Husqvarna Terra also makes 58hp and 44.25 lbs•ft of torque, just like the Husqvarna Strada.

Tipping the scales a bit lighter than its road-going sibling, the Terra has a dry weight here in the United States of 368 lbs (410 lbs wet). Available with ABS as an option in other markets, it appears our more feature-reluctant American riders will only be given the non-ABS variant of the pseudo off-road machine (apparently Husky isn’t a part of BMW’s pledge for universal ABS). While the Terra shares many components with the Strada, BMW Husqvarna hopes that the minor changes between the two bikes will help facilitate the Husqvarna Terra’s more off-road oriented purpose in life.

The most obvious difference are of course the wheelsets, which for the Terra means a 21″ spoked-wheel up front, and an 18″ spoked-wheel on the back (17″ for the models with ABS). Other changes include knobbier tires, a slightly lower seat height (up to 0.6″), a slightly longer wheelbase, and of course the 6.5 lbs dry weight loss (4 lbs less when wet).

A big enduro bike that draws from the BMW G650GS Sertão, it is hard to see how Husqvarna hopes to differentiate the Terra from the Strada, let alone its BMW sibling. If the Strada closely infringes on the territory of the Husqvarna Nuda 900, then it surprises us to see that Husqvarna’s third “street” model stays rooted even closer to home. Granted, Husqvanra intends for the Strada and Terra to be two sides of the same coin, with each appealing to slightly different riders, but when you look at the direction of where Husqvarna is currently headed, it is troubling to see what BMW has done with the brand.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that Husky 650 is a beautiful bike and a very worthy cross-country adventure bike...but it would suck on anything approaching off road use. It's basically based on the BMW 650. Looks like a neat bike for the application it's intended, but a real apples-to-oranges to the KLX or even the DRZ400 IMO. I think the Husky version is better looking than the BMW version. There's an informative, lengthy thread on ADV about this bike.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

400+ lbs and 7" of travel. Not sure what they are going for there. It sure looks purdy. The seat height was pretty low (34"). The price tag is gonna be silly.