Sold my KLX and bought...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

If I was riding trails, I would probably have been happy with the KLX... plenty of power for weaving through trees and such...

I have a bicycle worth as much as my DRZ cost me for riding in the forest...

ZombyWoof let me ride his KLX on some trails, and it's just not for me, the way a motorcycle handles on dirt just isn't for me.. if I could have followed myself on my bicycle I probably could have kept up Haha.

On the street though, and especially the highway, I like to be able to swiftly pass the traffic that is about to change into my lane without looking. Instead of taking the extra time to check behind me and decide where to go from there.

Trackdays in the future for me I think

The DRZ needing a charger constantly is because the battery was killed once without actually fixing the problem, you just put it on the tender... instead of replacing melted connectors/wiring.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Been looking long and hard at a DR650. Only 50 lbs heavier than the KLX. The seat is lower than the DRZ400. Yeah, thinking long and hard on that one.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

How do air cooled bikes hold up in that California heat?

My DRZ gets uncomfortably hot on the legs if I sit in traffic too long.

Might be the Titanium exhaust though...

Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I own a 2007 DR650 and a 2007 KLX250. They are my Jap combo.

The DR feels much heavier than the 50 lb difference when I have it on a rougher dirt road. Even in the mild stock tune of the DR, its a rush to climb back on it from the KLX for road riding. I have my DR set more for pavement with the KLX as my 50/50 bike. They're different motorcycles and make a great combination at least for me. I've got new seats for both of them, which DRAMATICALLY improves both bikes.

Originally Posted by Lotrat
Been looking long and hard at a DR650. Only 50 lbs heavier than the KLX. The seat is lower than the DRZ400. Yeah, thinking long and hard on that one.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kojack06
I own a 2007 DR650 and a 2007 KLX250. They are my Jap combo.

The DR feels much heavier than the 50 lb difference when I have it on a rougher dirt road. Even in the mild stock tune of the DR, its a rush to climb back on it from the KLX for road riding. I have my DR set more for pavement with the KLX as my 50/50 bike. They're different motorcycles and make a great combination at least for me. I've got new seats for both of them, which DRAMATICALLY improves both bikes.
I guess I want more of an 80/20 bike... until I get to the 20 where I want a 20/80 bike. I rode the KLR650 and while I enjoyed the power, I just can't see taking all the plastic off into the dirt. I'll just have to get the pair like you did and take it from there.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I guess I want more of an 80/20 bike... until I get to the 20 where I want a 20/80 bike. I rode the KLR650 and while I enjoyed the power, I just can't see taking all the plastic off into the dirt. I'll just have to get the pair like you did and take it from there.
This is so true. After trying to find or mod the "perfect all around bike" for decades, my dim light bulb finally realized that it doesn't and can't exist...unless you find a way to overcome the laws of physics. The real and satisfying solution is 2 bikes to fill your priorities...if you have more than one priority. If money is no problem and no object, then this discussion is moot to you. Otherwise it might be more fiscally responsible to buy 2 used bikes in good condition and get after all your riding preferences. For many decades I bought only new bikes from the shop I worked at. Why not? Later, as I bought a used bike here and there from that same shop, I realized that most of these used bikes were hardly used and in great condition...as long as you choose wisely. In many scenarios you can get 2-for-1 when you look at the price of some of these new bikes. I think most of us end up chasing our tails to try and make one bike fill multiple roles if we're honest with ourselves. On the other hand, if you have low expectations, then happiness may be a shorter walk.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the bike I want is possible, but you're right... it doesn't exist.
I want a used KLX250S price tag on a 250 lbs KTM 500 EXC with KLR650 5 gallon gas tank, a DR650 seat under height under 35", easy maintenance, cheap parts, bullet proof motor, smooth shifting trans a usable 6th gear for highway riding. The big 4 Jap bike brands need to figure out dual sports. It's the SUV of motorcycles.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Exactly, and said very well! My KLX was four years old and sitting in the original owners garage with 1600 miles when I bought it. The DR was one and a half years old with 1600 miles and the owner was going through a divorce. It was for sale right next to the tanning bed(which was for sale also) in the owners garage. While the jap bikes aren't high performance KTMs, Huskies, or Betas, you can mod them them to fit your needs, they are cheap to drive and insure, and are great dirt road/trail bikes. With a change of tires and a sprocket, you have a lightweight touring bike.

Originally Posted by TNC
This is so true. After trying to find or mod the "perfect all around bike" for decades, my dim light bulb finally realized that it doesn't and can't exist...unless you find a way to overcome the laws of physics. The real and satisfying solution is 2 bikes to fill your priorities...if you have more than one priority. If money is no problem and no object, then this discussion is moot to you. Otherwise it might be more fiscally responsible to buy 2 used bikes in good condition and get after all your riding preferences. For many decades I bought only new bikes from the shop I worked at. Why not? Later, as I bought a used bike here and there from that same shop, I realized that most of these used bikes were hardly used and in great condition...as long as you choose wisely. In many scenarios you can get 2-for-1 when you look at the price of some of these new bikes. I think most of us end up chasing our tails to try and make one bike fill multiple roles if we're honest with ourselves. On the other hand, if you have low expectations, then happiness may be a shorter walk.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Out of the five bikes, one quad, and numerous vehicles I've owned over time, none of them have been new and none of them have had anything but minor problems at the most. I'm a fan of buying used, checking it out carefully, taking the risk of a problem by saving serious cash on the purchase, and then not being afraid of scratching the thing up because it is not in show-room condition. My KLX with around 3K miles was bought from an 80-year old kid out of his spit-shined garage.

The KLR650 and KLX351 are a good match for me doing 80/20 & 20/80 type riding.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess the guage and stuff is a little nicer on the klx. And it does suck that you cant get the DRZ E engine in a dual purpose too. But a street legal E model with a Vapor computer (thats the way i bought mine) is a really nice setup.

The big 4 Jap bike brands need to figure out dual sports. It's the SUV of motorcycles.
This is so true. Nobody makes what we need. Most experianced riders would want something in the 400-500cc range. And I think most would probably trade some power for reliability and lower maintenance. Kawasaki, honda, yamaha dont even make a bike this size. The only option is the DRZ, which needs 6th gear. Leaving us no other choice but to go to a KTM to get the perfect dual sport bike. And then we end up with way more maintenance for no real reason because most of us dont need the power of a race engine anyway. Its hard to imagine that the 4 Jap brands havent realized the need for this type of bike. Maybe they will figure it out someday.

Quick Reply: Sold my KLX and bought...