Sold my KLX and bought...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sold my KLX and bought...

When I bought my KLX 250 I was a little dissapointed with the power, but was starting to live with it after doing a few mods. But recently I came across a great deal that i couldnt resist on a KTM and decided to sell my KLX and upgrade. After my bike was sold the deal fell apart on the KTM and I ended up with no bike for a week or so.

But then I found a street converted KLX 400 (which is actually a DRZ-400e) for sale for a decent price, and bikes are hard to find in the middle of the season so I bought it to get me through the summer. I was never really impressed by the DRZ's with their conventional forks, 5 speed transmission and their older styling didnt look that great. But after buying it I have to say that im very impressed. Power and throttle response is night and day better then the modded 250, cant even compare it at all. And the 5 speed transmission is still fine for dual purpose use. My 400 with its 5 speed actually revs a little lower cruising at 70mph and with its extra torque it is actually more capable offroad in 1st gear then my 250 was even though it had a wider ratio tranny. The stupid looking conventional forks actually work fine, very similer to my 06 KLX 250 the way I have them set now. Rear suspension may be a little better in the 250, but i need to adjust preload so its hard to say for sure yet. Seat is probably a little worse on the 400 too, honestly not a big fan of either. The look of the bike has grown on me too, the green is much nicer imo then the suzuki colors. Overall its a very nice all around bike, I was surprized i have to say. Very pleased with the swap, much better bike for my needs and it only cost me a couple hundred bucks in the difference.

Not meaning to bash the 250 here. Just posting my experiance with both bikes in case it might help someone else deciding between the two. Also wanted to say thanks to those who helped my get my 250 set up a little better from stock. Thanks guys.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:10 AM
1st Gear Member

go look at an exc350 it will make the 400 seem slow

Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I sold my SF for a DRZ400SM.

Much cheaper than modding the 250.

The only thing I find worse, is the height of it, and that's only when it's windy that I notice it.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Borg
I sold my SF for a DRZ400SM.

Much cheaper than modding the 250.

The only thing I find worse, is the height of it, and that's only when it's windy that I notice it.

MPG? Not much though I bet since the wind is really what gets you.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

About 50mpg... but I have a larger tank than the KLX, so it gets me about 175km before I hit reserve.

If I had a KLX250S, I'd have the same wind problem, since it's significantly taller than the SF.

I look at it like this, I spend an extra $1 per fill up, but I don't have to fill up as often,.

Definitely wouldn't want the DRZ to be a first bike though, it's pretty brutal in the throttle department, especially with 1/4 turn throttle.

There are some things I liked a lot more about the KLX, Tach, 6-Speed, Ignition/Steering lock in one, Nicer dash, nicer mirrors...

The only thing I can't fix on the DRZ is the integrated Ignition/Steering lock, and the 6-Speed.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I've always felt that if Suzuki put a 6-speed gearbox and a minimal light kit on the DRZ-E it would RULE the dualsport world. I loved mine but couldn't get it titled here in Maine. Definitely higher cg than the KLX but not too bad. The Showa 49mm conventionals can be modded to make them fit any situation - as good or better than our 06 KLX forks.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

In the motard category, I'd go for the Suzuki 400 every time over the SF. A friend has the Suzuki, and it's a nice balance of power and weight for pavement. In the dirt, however, I wouldn't touch a DRZ over a KLX "S" under any circumstances...except perhaps one. A really huge, heavy rider might benefit from the 400 for real dualsport use. And if I were riding just dirt roads and pavement, then I'd get a 650 of some kind. Still, the 400 series is a very reliable, solid bike, but just not as good off road as the KLX. That fork on the 400, though conventional in design, is still a very good fork and capable of some good revalving as much as any USD fork.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, I agree the 250 is better offroad due to lower cg (even compared with the lighter DRZ-E model) and smaller rotating mass of the 250 - easily more flickable. And, honestly I like the power of the 250 better offroad as well. But for actual dualsport combo of anything approaching 50/50 on/off - I think the DRZ may have it. One issue with the DRZ. It EATS batteries.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

It only eats batteries if you don't look after the wiring.

I had the connector between the Stator and Rectifier short, and ate a battery and left me stranded on the highway.

If that connector didn't fail, the bike would still have the original battery in it from 2005.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I could see how that could end the battery's life quickly.

Some of the wiring on the DRZ is just too small a guage (can't remember which) and needs a tender constantly until you replace the stock wiring with heavier stuff. I'm not an electrician at all and was constantly charging my battery as hordes of DRZ owners do. Simple fix, but just goes to show that the KLX isn't the only baby in the woodpile and other makers neglect to admit and upgrade as they go as well.

Great bike though.

Quick Reply: Sold my KLX and bought...