Sold my 09 klx 250 today

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 04:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sold my 09 klx 250 today

Got $3200 for it with mods in signature. 7221 miles. Getting a 2008 klr 650 tomorrow with lots of goodies. Planning on paying $4100. Loved the klx but my riding style changed and I like to tour more, multiday trips, etc. See ya guys around!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Let us know how the KLR 650 works out for you. Post up pics!

Old 09-29-2012, 02:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I had 4 big KLR's over the years and had fun on all of them. If you're going to travel off the bike, they really are one of the best DS models out there. When I was younger, I even rode them in some ways and places I probably shouldn't have, but they survived. I'm more into as little pavement as possible now, so the KLX fits me better, but the KLR is king of true cross-country or across-the-world adventure travel. They can hollar about the big BMW GS models...too heavy, too expensive. They can tout the off road capability of the KTM690, but they can be a little finicky when you're out in the hinterlands, and they are very expensive. The stupid, lowly, cheap, reliable-as-an-anvil KLR is seen all over the world still putting around in all manner of places. Maybe the biggest negative of the KLR is how unexciting it is...LOL! But it will get you there and back and still leave you with some money in your pocket.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

IMHO - no better bike than the KLR for your new riding profile. You may miss the KLX every now and again, but I'm sure you'll love the KLR as well.

Good luck with the new bike.

Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

You'll be back; all KLX owners come back. KLX ownership is like the Hotel California: you check in but you'll never check out...lol

Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the sale and the new scoot. You can still check in here with your KLR stories.
Dan

Old 09-30-2012, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Here's the picture

Great bike, great price. I'd riden a buddies KLR before. After I did I was like "what is all the KLR's are cheap, weak braking, under powered machines" talk all about. Sure it is 140 pounds heavier than a KLX but I was impressed. I think those who smack talk a KLR need to realize it cost half of what the BMW's and KTM's of the world cost. There are trade offs but yeah, I got some cash left in my pocket. What pushed me over the edge to sell the KLX and trade up was last month riding with my KLR buddy, we stopped for gas after riding the same distance - he used $0.60 more fuel than me AND had extra room to carry the beer!

Best part of the new bike, I got to keep the GREEN.

Attached Thumbnails Sold my 09 klx 250 today-klr-photo.jpg  
Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM
red
1st Gear Member

looks great!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I ride a lot with a friend who has an older KLR. He has taken that thing in some pretty hairy places... but he (like you) prefers longer highway runs and tamer dirt/gravel roads. We've camped a couple times off our bikes, and mine (KLX) is definitely affected by the extra weight (tent, sleeping bag and pad, extra gear, etc.) while his is right at home with it. It has become a constant struggle with where we're going to ride, because his riding preferences are quite different from mine - so we always end up compromising somewhere.

I'm with TNC, and still prefer dirt to street. If we ride the stuff I like, my friend gets frustrated because the KLR is too heavy and requires too much effort. If we ride the stuff he likes, the road wears my knobbies, I get bored, and the lightweight KLX doesn't handle gravel as well as the heavier KLR (which gives me those pucker moments I *so* could do without).

Sounds like you've found the perfect bike for the type of riding you're into at this point. Congrats on the new ride (and keeping it green)!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Thats a great looking KLR And of course you got the green one because as we all know,...green is faster. Well make sure you keep up with the forums here, and even though we have a KLR 650 section I think its pretty dead there, so if you have questions about the 650 just post them in the KLX 250 section.

Quick Reply: Sold my 09 klx 250 today