So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem

Huh, the C model tanks dont look anything like the more traditional peanut tanks imho. And have you seen the 50th anniversey models. Nice, But Harley could have done sooo much more then just paint, badges and numbering. They copped out on it if you ask me.

Yes I agree the 1200S is one of the finest sportster ever built. Thats why I have a 1200S suspension on my 1200R. The rubber mount motors make a world of difference too. They vibrate at idle just enough to let you know your on a harley but smooth right out once you feed them throttle. As far as the FI goes, well I will keep my carbaratuer thank you. My 2 cents...

LV

Old 09-28-2006, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

The nice thing about fuel injection is no rejetting is needed. If you've ever added a screamin' eagle air filter and pipes of any kind, you need to rejet and it's a pain to get right. Mine still burps intermittently. I'd trade it for fi any day. I agree the new tank is hard to get use to but I think it looks appropriate on the custom models and the new low 1200. It gives the rider more range which as you know is the major downfall of the regular 3.3 gal. sportster tank.

What makes the original 1200S sweet are the fully floating brakes they used until the '99 model year. This was exclusive to the S and made it stand out. Now every sportster have the same exact brakes, heck, the dyna's use sportster brakes and front ends. Well, up until the '06 model when the dyna was redesigned. I liked the fully floating brake rotors used on the S so much I put a matching set on my sporty. They look so much better than the fugly oem just like every other harley brake rotors.

Well I have Rinhart pipes, Doherty power pak air cleaner with breather vents and a TC88A ignition module on mine. I have No Issues with carb farts or anything else but then I went with a Mikuni carb instead of trying to rejet the stock carb. The FI will be fine once there are aftermarket stuff out there for it and people figure out the best way to dial it in but I still like my carb. FI is good because you dont have to mess with a choke and if your riding includes altitude changes. Other then that it's just more stuff to go wrong.

Agreed on the floating rotors. I actually bought a full set of floating rotors off ebay and got them dirt cheap too but when I went to put then on the inner hole was just a touch to small to fit over the hub so I tried to grind them open a little and the freaking chrome started to peel off. I was pissed. There now sitting at home in a box in my closet. Hows that saying go " you get what you pay for "....

LV

Old 09-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Someone check the temperature in Hell - here is something that Iowaguy and I agree on! You won't find any stickers on my bike either. I've given all my stickers to my kids who put them on their skateboards, their tool boxes, bikes, etc.

So would it be safe to say that you're not a big "fan" of stickers? Sorry I couldn't resist.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

The Mikuni is the best carb for the sporty I agree.
The Japs sure know how to make good carbs huh?

Old 09-29-2006, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, speaking of Sporsters, is this what they mean by a "Knucklehead"?

Old 10-02-2006, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

You have to be one to own a Harley................. LOL!

Really though, are we still talking about Hardly Ablesons on this forum?

Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

hahhahhahaa......... hardly ablesons.... lol... thats great, never herd that before