So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem

Iowaguy, Well I understnad were your coming from but everybody has to make there own decision about things like exhausts and motorcycles in general bro. I will give you a great example of what I'm talking about.

I own a 1200R sporty as you know. Lots of people will buy a 883 and then use a Kit to bump it to 1200cc and call it a 1200cc sporty. Well to me there Not the same. There Just Not and never will be. I wrote a thread in the sporty forum on this too. It was called " Dis-service to future sporty owners " I think. It was a HOT thread. I think it went to at least 30 freaking pages. I still get comments on it and I still take Sh*t for it. Basacially it said that if you have a 883 no matter what you do to it it will never be a 1200 sporty and cant be sold as a 1200 sporty. Too many people were recommending buying a 883 and converting it to a 1200 to our new sporty buyers. Pissed me off so I wrote a big thread about it.

The bottom line here is that people will do and buy what they want. Say your piece and then let it go. You think BG is the best, thats kool. Some think Muzzy is the best. thats kool too. Once the facts are on the table it is up to the Indivudial to make the decision thats best for Them. To go on and on about something does nobody any good and the only thing it will accomplish is to alienate the person who is going on and on. I learned this the Hard way on the sporty thread.

Now when newbies come on the sporty forum and ask which should I get the 883 or the 1200. I just laugh and shake my head. Hope you understand where I'm coming from. Take care...........

LV

Old 09-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

just curious,,, not trying to start anything..... i dont know anything about harleys....

is the 883 and 1200 sporty the same bike with just a bigger motor ? is so then y couldnt you just jump up the cc's..... just curious.... dont murder me....

ORIGINAL: LordVngr
I own a 1200R sporty as you know. Lots of people will buy a 883 and then use a Kit to bump it to 1200cc and call it a 1200cc sporty. Well to me there Not the same. There Just Not and never will be. I wrote a thread in the sporty forum on this too. It was called " Dis-service to future sporty owners " I think. It was a HOT thread. I think it went to at least 30 freaking pages. I still get comments on it and I still take Sh*t for it. Basacially it said that if you have a 883 no matter what you do to it it will never be a 1200 sporty and cant be sold as a 1200 sporty. Too many people were recommending buying a 883 and converting it to a 1200 to our new sporty buyers. Pissed me off so I wrote a big thread about it.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

just curious,,, not trying to start anything..... i dont know anything about harleys....

is the 883 and 1200 sporty the same bike with just a bigger motor ? is so then y couldnt you just jump up the cc's..... just curious.... dont murder me....

There more difference in the bikes then just the CC size of the motor such as chrome, engine colors, brakes, etc, etc. Yes techinacally a 883 can be made into a 1200cc sporty But to me there Not The Same. The Title will Always say 883 and so will the vin number. You can actually buy a 883 and convert it to 1200cc for cheaper then a real 1200 sporty but again to me there not the same and you cant sell the 883 as a 1200.

It's like buying a 69 chevelle. you can take a 6 cylinder chevelle and put a 396 in it and put all the SS badges on it and it might Look Exactly like a Real 396 SS Chevelle but is it the same. Some might say yes But I'm from the old school and I say No its not the same. Especially come resale time. Too many sporty owners will buy a 883 thinking its dirt cheap to convert to a 1200 only to find out they spent more money to convert the 883 to a 1200 then if they would have just bought the 1200 in the first place. and then to add iceing on the cake they find out they cant sell it as a 1200. Hope this clears thing up a little for you.

LV

Old 09-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ah,, yes... i agree with you ... i call those clones.... like that chevelle example.... it would be an ss clone... so i guess it would be a 1200 clone.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

uh o.... here we go again.... [sm=chairshot.gif][sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 09-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ok good.... i dont wanna keep getting the admins attention to our klx section....

Old 09-27-2006, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

Well, since I own an 883 I can't sit here and listen to this as I don't agree. An 883 Sportster and a 1200 Sportster are the same damn bike, only difference is size of the bore and crankshaft. The cheapest 883 can be had for $6995. Throw in the cheap HD conversion kit for $900 and whamo you got a 1200 and you can use the same heads with no mods needed. A 1200 has the same brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, everything is the same. I know you Lord, have a 1200R which has dual disc brakes up front, but that's an accessory for any sporty too for $350 if desired. They use the same carburetor, for '07 though all sporties are fuel injected. In the past, all original Buells produced started out as 883 engines and not 1200's and then they hotrodded the heads, cams, pistons. But here's what I couldn't believe- they wanted the 883 engine because the crankshaft was lighter therefore it would rev quicker. Sure, some 1200's have painted this and chromed that, but the 883 has nearly the same amount of chrome on it as any 1200 except for the Custom. I have an '03 883- I've always planned on putting ported Thunderstorm heads, Wiseco pistons, and bore it to 1203cc. This my friend, sorry to say, would smoke your 1200R, new XB heads or not. When I bought my 883 I was looking to buy the 1200, the salesman told me he could get me one but if he were me, he'd buy the 883 and build it since it could be built stouter and cheaper than any stock 1200 along with making nearly 20 horses more than that stock 1200. A 1200 is way more expensive than any 883, which imo is a no-brainer for me to spend $3000 less and put the parts in myself for under $1000. Thunderstorm heads can be bought for $450 all day, pistons go for around $150, and gasket kits and you're pushing near 85 horses- throw in a 2-1 supertrapp and an easy 90 horses and dead 600 sportbikes can be found. Now I'm not dissing your 1200R, god knows I nearly bought one in '04 when they came out. I'm just debating you about the theory of just buying a 1200 because an 883 will never be a 1200. Well, technically you're right, and technically you're wrong. On paper it won't be or by the human eye. Only giveaway are the flat black powdercoated Thunderstorm heads bolted onto your 883 and a twist of the wrist along with the left over $2000 in your wallet will leave no doubts. If you're in it for the resale, then a 1200 may be a smart buy but I plan on keeping mine. Stealthy is what I like. Someone called your bike a girls bike, well if you have a 1200 and I have a little ole 883, what's that make mine? And about the Chevelle SS comparison- there's no comparo. An SS and a 1200 are different in every aspect as far as rareness. A 1200 is just a 1200. They're not special or rare. A Chevelle SS, while not my favorite muscle car is something special and clones can be built, but the comparison between the 1200/883 to the cars is inadequate. Heck, Hemi 'cuda clones are fetching more than any other muscle car except the ones they're cloning. Hemi from the past= big buckaroos. Peace bro.

Nope I wont get into this with you. I know you have a 883 and you can spend all the money you want on it but the Vin and Title will always say 883. As far as differences there is More then just the cc's. For starters the the 1200's come equiped with the Buell XB heads. Simply the Best head harley has ever made.

As far as price when you compare a 883c to a 1200c there is a good chunk of change difference But compare a 883R and a 1200R and the difference is like 900 bucks. By the time you buy the kit, Install it which voids your warranty unless you have the dealer do it and add other accessories you could have bought a 1200. Also to my knowledege the cranks are the same because the stroke is the same. Only the bore is different. Also if your going to use stock heads from a 883 then you have to use Dish pistons.

My point was buy the time you invest in Building the 883 to 1200 status you could have almost bought a 1200. To me its not worth it. To others that want to go that route it's fine as long as they understand the costs, what they get, and the resale value. I'm not knocking 883's at all. But just as you said there are too many salesman and other people out there telling newbies who dont know any better " Well I'd buy a 883 for 6500 and for 600 bucks you can have a 1200 ". No you cant, Not really. You and I will just have to agree that we disagree on this.

My other point was and it was the Only Reason I brought up the Harley analogy was to compare it to the Big Gun / Muzzy analogy. You can believe your right and believe the 1200 / Big Gun is better then the 883 / muzzy and post your feelings / facts over and over But in the end people will buy what they want no matter what you say and they just get tired of hearing it and tune you out. I finally learned that on the sporty forum after arguring about it with 883 owners for 30 something pages. Muzzy / BG / 883 / 1200 It Dont matter, It's All Good and as One sporty owner once told me " It's about Preference Dude ". I wanted to pass along my lesson to you. Hope were still good...

LV

Quick Reply: So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem