So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem

So I ordered my Big gun last weekend from Motorcycleparts.biz and found it on my door friday night when I got home. 5 days, not bad for cali to florida.

First thing I do is Open it and Check the Header pipe. Compare it on the bike and in the pictures in YYY.Guys post. Looks right but my taper is about a inch before the weld and not at the weld itself. I'm pretty sure it will fit But I wont be installing it for awhile yet so we will keep our fingers crossed.

Next I look at the silencer. That looks fine too but I notice the spark arrestor nor the vortex core are installed like it Says in the instructions. No bigge right. I check out this Vortex quite core, What a Pos. 3 little tubes welded together with a end plate on it. That's No quite core and I can see why they say for temporary use only. No the race system for my DR came with the real quite core. I'll take that any day over this Vortex stuff. Oh, since I'm not a advertizement for Big Gun I remove the sticker.

Anyway, I go to take out the 3 screws holding the red anodized end cap on. Hmmm these are some tuff mothers, they dont want to come out. I hear the first one finally Crack and then unscrew. I go to do the second screw and it dont want to budge. In fact my allen wrench is starting to round it out so I stop. I go to the third screw and the Same freaking thing happens. I'm like WTF.

I remove the 4 endcap screws and call it a night. Next day I head to Lowes to buy some stuff and I take the endcap with me. Standing in Lowes I get one of their allen wrenches and try again. Second screw Finally Cracks and come loose. I'm like Ya, just one more. I go after the third and final screw. It aint moving and does nothing but slip and rounds the hole out even more. In desperation I grab a screw extracter as I head out the door.

It's Ridiculas how tight those screws were in, Either someone used a airgun or permanet locktight or Both to install them. So I get home and start to drill the screw out for the extractor but I gave up, My luck I will F*ck the threads up in the endcap and then I will really be screwed. Besides, It's brand new, I shouldnt have to be doing this crap.

So tommorow I guess I will call Big Gun to see what they say. As far as I'm concerned It's Big Guns issue and not motorcycleparts.biz. Hopefully it will be me sending my endcap back and a quick turn around on a New one but who knows. I'm also thinking a Black anodized endcap too Instead of the stock red or the green. I just think it will look better. Maybe big gun will cut me a deal for My Hassle, More then likely a free rag, I mean T-shirt if that. Man what a PITA, Stay Tuned......

LV

Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 AM
Default RE: So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem

Had to drill two of mine out and mine was not put togeather either , i ordered the 15 inch quite core insert wich took an extra week to get and found that it dident fit as well as it could of, and i wound up cutting about 1/16th of a inch from the end of the core but very pleased with it now

Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Firedude

Had to drill two of mine out and mine was not put togeather either , i ordered the 15 inch quite core insert wich took an extra week to get and found that it dident fit as well as it could of, and i wound up cutting about 1/16th of a inch from the end of the core but very pleased with it now

What did you do drill the head off. What size bit you use. My main concern would be drilling into the threads of the actual endcap with a secondary concern of drilling into the red anodized cap. just dont see how you can do it without cutting into the red cap. When I tried with my bits they didnt really want to cut into the screw.

I consider the Vortex a Restricter setup more then Quite core where as the real quite core has the baffles to Slow the exhuast down and not restrict it. Now that you mentioned it I too had to cut a little off the end of the quite core when I installed it in the DR. I had forgotten all about that. Let me know how you did the screws, Thanks...

LV

Old 09-25-2006, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LordVngr

First thing I do is Open it and Check the Header pipe. Compare it on the bike and in the pictures in YYY.Guys post. Looks right but my taper is about a inch before the weld and not at the weld itself. I'm pretty sure it will fit But I wont be installing it for awhile yet so we will keep our fingers crossed.

Next I look at the silencer. That looks fine too but I notice the spark arrestor nor the vortex core are installed like it Says in the instructions ...

LV
You got instructions?!?? Geez, screwed again!?!!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I am sorry for your trouble LV. For all the slamming of Muzzy going on by certain people, the end cap came off really easy with their supplied allen key.
I think your black end idea will look great. I guess Big Gun, should include a big ole pack o' patience with their product...

Old 09-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

That was weird I got a notice for this post like I do all others but it ended up in the junk mail box.[&:]

Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM

not sure what size bit i used , however i started with a small bit to get it started then used a bit that i guessed was a little smaller than the diamater of the screw, and the screw heads popped off right before i hit my red end cap . after thats done it was easy to get the rest of the screw out with a pair of plires

Old 09-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My Muzzy had no issues......JUST KIDDING!!!!!! well it didn't but I was just joking about that because of the......well you know.. LOL Hey LV I hope everything works out. I could have ordered any exhaust and I would have been fine, I am that easy to please.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i havent had any problems with the big gun, screws were not that tight, the only thing is that one of the end cap bolts must have vibrated out, and i emaild the guy i talked to when i bought it, and he sent me 4 new endcap bolts. Because my bike is at the shop right now, and i put the stock exhaust back on. So saturday i decided to clean the big gun exhaust, unlike deej i take my bike in the mud.. lol... i removed the big gun sticker also, i like how it looks so far but its not on the bike yet, and i did notice that my red end cap is fading pretty bad, the bottom is still really deep red, and the top is a really light red now... no biggie just some more food for thaught... i will be repacking it soon also, has anyone done this yet? I havnt herd of anyone doing it, im gonna stop and get some new packing and do it soon.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6

... the end cap came off really easy with their supplied allen key.

You got a supplied allen key?!?? Holy cow! I'm starting to think that I'm lucky that I got ANYTHING in my box, let alone a mislabeled head pipe!

In all fairness, I did get the Vortex tip, the spark arrestor screen, and a spacer. Looks simple enough that it didn't need instructions, but I still looked for something (assembly instructions, silencer maintenance, check your jetting, ... anything!!!).

I checked the allen screws on my anodized tip and they were not overly tightened ... just about the right snugness. Didn't check the endcap bolts, though.

Hey, LV:

If you have to call Big Gun Customer Management, make sure you don't get Phil or Kyle. I've read somewhere that someone else had good results with another Customer Management Rep, but I don't know the Rep's name. Call and ask for Allison and tell her you heard about Big Gun Customer Service (<--- Oxymoron!!!) through this forum ... she's been great throughout my whole ordeal, but she's Mike Young's Executive Assistant, so she won't help you directly -- she'll hook you up with someone good, though.

Good luck!

Mike

Quick Reply: So I got my Big Gun this weekend, There's a problem