So. California Big Bear Bash II Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default So. California Big Bear Bash II Ride Report

OK Folks we all know the KLX250S is 50 state legal now (seen it in the local dealers) and you dont have to o the "Mole" route to get one here in California. So where were you Californiafolks last weekend? The Mole was the only KLX250S at this event[:@] and probally one of only a handfull of small displacment bikes! Well let me tell you that it was a awesome event! I dont have a lot of photos because I was having such a good time that I forgot to shoot pictures.

Well here is a little background, the event started as a loosley organized affair over on the ADVrider forum last year (I did not attend) and this year talk of a second event started around January. Steve K6OST over at http://www.dirtytires.com/took the helm and organized the event which started at the Serrano campground just ajacent to Big Bear Lake. Most folks like myselfarrivedFriday andstayed thru Sunday, but the big rides were onSaturday with a catered taco feast forthose who chose to participate after the ride!(let me tell you a meal at camp after a ride that you dont have to cook is Mmmm Mmmm Good)

So here are a few of the photos that the Mole has.....More photos of the event are over on the ADVrider forum under Big Bear Bash
www.advrider.com/forums/ in the ride reports!

This was "Camp Mole" for the weekend....lots of folks in tents...the Mole ain't sleeping in the dirt[sm=badidea.gif]

Name:  FILE0021-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  100.5 KB

Saturday morning reciving the "game plan" for the day!
Name:  FILE0002.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  103.8 KB

After getting the "game plan" and joining up with group2, Ithought I woul take a photo of the lonely KLX in the last row of riders [sm=bangbang.gif]
Name:  FILE0001.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  96.7 KB

Well It all turned out for the good, I actually hooked up with a group of riders that ran the spectrum we has DR350s, DR400s, DR650s, couple of V-Stroms, two KTM900 adventures and a 600 KTM.

Let me tell you the two folks here in the photos can make those big 900cc beasts run! they earned my respect!
Name:  FILE0010.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  93.9 KB

We had to stop for fuel about mid-day and with the Clarke tank I thought I would be able to get at least 90 miles out of a tankful (boy was I wrong)
Name:  FILE0012.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  87.9 KB

As the day wore on there was a lot of stop and look at the map....regoup...discuss..ect. Keep in mind we started at 8000 ft altuide at 9:00 am in 70 degree weather and by 1:00 pm we were half way to the desert and the temps were pushng 100+
Name:  FILE0017.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  66.0 KB

Notice the rear tire on that V-Strom (above) well to sum it all up I gave up on taking photos because the ride back up the mountain was so much fun! and you are probally wondering about the fuel mileage with the Clarke tank? All I can say is the ride clocked 96 miles on my gps, I started with a full tank, added .6 gallons at the 35 mile mark and after the pavement bailout at 4:00pm and a run uphill for 30+ mileswith a headwind (chasing the Adventures and V-stroms) there was not much visable fuel left, however we did not hit reserve and as soon as I can get the bike to the pumps I will get you the mileage.

Awesome Ride, Awesome people and a great time....Kepp in mind When I went to this rde I did not know a soul, just a common intrest made for a wonderful weekend.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:27 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: So. California Big Bear Bash II Ride Report

was kalisaki there there with hiz umbrella girls?looks like a blast tho, thanx for sharing bro.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Looks like fun..... nice pics

Old 05-22-2008, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

that's how it was last year for me at the pine barrons. i didn't know anyone outside of reading their posts.turned out to be the best time i ever had on a bike....

Old 05-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lcpl0331

that's how it was last year for me at the pine barrons. i didn't know anyone outside of reading their posts. turned out to be the best time i ever had on a bike....
Same here, Craig, man that was fun! I had met Dirtsurfer only briefly before, but that was it. I've been thinking about that weekend today. Last year at this time, I was loading up the truck for the 8.5 hour drive up I95 to begin at 3 am Friday morning. The drive up and back sucked, but it was sure worth it. I wish we were doing that again this year. I'd love to have another go at the Pine Barrens. I still can't ride whoops worth a damn, but I'd be ready for the sand.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

we'll get there sometime. maybe late in the year. october or november. i might be doing that dualsport ride in woodbine nj november 1-2. that would be a great time for everyone to meet up again.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

All you folks from back east need to move out here so we can ride! And by the way we do have tornados now!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:43 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I'd love to ride out there. I'll pass on the tornados, though. We have them here, too. Oh, and we have hurricanes. [:@]

Great pics, BTW. That looks like a fun trip.