Snorkel Removal or better air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure about the 07 models, but the 09's you can pull the snorkel right out and save it for a muddy, wet, fun filled day It made a decent change in performance. I noticed I got a bit more punch out of it and the bike actually sounded better (I have a stock exhaust) I plan on getting a better air filter myself and I'm confident you can do both and I'm riding around 1215ft AMSL which is nothing to worry about.

There's still lots of O2 at those heights and by taking the snorkel of your just increasing the rate of air coming in

kdx220 snorkel eh?????? Now I'm curious

Old 07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll see you mine if you are interested.
That was hard to de-crypt sorry about that.

I'll sell you mine was how that was suppose to read.
I have been running w/o the snorkel for the last 1000 miles, I ride in the desert.... We only dream about the rain.... Nothin gets wet unless you squirt it with the hose here

I think they sell for ~20 and probably $6 to ship... whatever it is, I'll beat it by $5. And know it finally got some use.

let me know.
later.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I quoted myself... Cooooool

Old 07-29-2009, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
I quoted myself... Cooooool
Ssshhhh !! Dont tell Deej, you know how those mods are !!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I might be interested in that snorkel if nobody else bites, I see a lot of mud and water, so it's a little risky for me to be running without it.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:10 PM
1st Gear Member

I am confused! Which filter is the best? K&N? or twin air filter?

Do I remove the snorkel or buy the KDX one?

Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I run in ALOT of mud and water... alot... thats all i ride... i took the snorkel out 4K miles ago, just have the uni in there with the lid on... no problems at all... the oil in the air filter will prevent any water from going in... it will just run down the filter and go out the drain at the bottom... my drain was actually plugged from mud lol... been workin fine. just cleaned the filter and changed the oil.

oh yea... i bought the kdx snorkel cause it was recommended on here.... its sitting in a box.... get more air with no snorkel at all....

Old 07-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffalony
Dont remove the snorkle! If you do any kind of water crossing or riding in any mud. Instead goto your local kawi dealer and get a snorkle off a kdx220. It fits and offers twice the amount of air to come in. You have to rejet though because your bike is going to be lean.

Steve

Not removing the snorkel will still allow water to get in, I run with the lid off, and have never had a problem. And yes I've been in mud, and have never found even a speck of it in the air box.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Ssshhhh !! Dont tell Deej, you know how those mods are !!

LOL That sounds like something I would do. In fact I remember several threads I started, asking a question, then answering it myself.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dualsportman
Which filter is the best? K&N? or twin air filter?
I'd go with Twin Air or Uni, not very impressed with the K&N I bought. It has a lot less filtering area = less air flow in. It's also a pain to get seated properly with the big metal plate it comes with. And I always seal my filters to the airbox with marine grease to prevent anything from getting by.

Quick Reply: Snorkel Removal or better air filter?