Snorkel Removal or better air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Snorkel Removal or better air filter?

Hello All,
Snorkel removal or a better breathing air filter? Is one approach better than the other or can both be done without rejetting the carb? I have an '07 with stock exhaust. I ride at an elevation of 1250 ft. Will either one or both make any noticable change. At some point I'm sure I will give in and go for the complete upgrade of air intake and exhaust. But for now I was just wondering if I could do a free mod without leaning it out to much. Thanks for the help. Oh, also do you just pull off the snorkel from the top plate or do you need to cut it off?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Its already lean from the factory..... then add in 1250ft...... its even leaner
take off the snorkel add in after market exhaust you get the air moving or more flow.......

fuel man, you need fuel!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Wedge, higher altitude will make it richer. Same fuel coming in, but less oxygen in the air. Todd, 1250 ft is not enough to make it too rich though. You may be ok with a hi flow filter. I don't think you'll see much power difference only changing the filter. You've got to pipe and re-jet along with the new filter to feel any difference. I'd leave it alone untill you get a pipe.
PS the snorkel doesn't have to be cut out, it will pull out. I run mine with the lid on and snorkel removed.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

right! forgot about that (higher alt not enough air)it get rich and bogs more

I put the KDX snorkle in. with all the jetting mods. when I read the other post a bell went off

Last edited by wedge; 07-26-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Dont remove the snorkle! If you do any kind of water crossing or riding in any mud. Instead goto your local kawi dealer and get a snorkle off a kdx220. It fits and offers twice the amount of air to come in. You have to rejet though because your bike is going to be lean.

Steve

Old 07-26-2009, 05:31 PM
1st Gear Member

what is the point in doing just this? If you ware wanting more power, just do the free mods. BTW, I drilled the exhaust through the two baffles ,and it really was not any louder.... of course I did end up getting an HMF. that let out a fair amount of horsey's bot is not a "free mod" ....

Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Both. I have an TwinAir filter AND I pulled the snorkel... but +1 on rejetting. I'm only a couple hundred feet ASL and it is unbarably lean from the factory. Don't pull the snorkel or change filters until you rejet.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a KDX200 snorkle still in the package. I'll see you mine if you are interested.
PM me if interested.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Both. I have an TwinAir filter AND I pulled the snorkel... but +1 on rejetting. I'm only a couple hundred feet ASL and it is unbarably lean from the factory. Don't pull the snorkel or change filters until you rejet.
I dunno, I pulled the stock filter within a couple hundred miles, and put in a K & N filter. Noticeable difference. Then I pulled off the snorkel. It breaths better. Sure it was still lean, but it was revving better, and felt more responsive.
I finally rejetted over the winter when I put the aftermarket exhaust on. Its like a new bike now.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I pulled my snorkel when I did the exhaust, jet kit, and k&n. Might put a KDX snorkel in to be on the safe side.

Quick Reply: Snorkel Removal or better air filter?