Smokin in XS

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Bill mailed the gasket today and I'll probably get to the repair this coming Monday or Tuesday. Until then is there anything that can be done to protect the cylinder from corrosion? Maybe pouring some oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole?

What about the issue with the overflow tank spitting coolant? What could cause this with the above engine config?

Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by therivermonster
What about the issue with the overflow tank spitting coolant? What could cause this with the above engine config?
Cylinder pressure is leaking into the cooling system and that forces coolant to spew out from the overflow. Classical symptom of head gasket leak.

--
Mikko

Old 09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I learn something new everyday and this stuff is great info. Thank you all for the help!

How about dumping some oil into the cylinder and crankin' her a few times to help protect the cylinder while awaiting repair?

Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I learn something new everyday and this stuff is great info. Thank you all for the help!

How about dumping some oil into the cylinder and crankin' her a few times to help protect the cylinder while awaiting repair?
That won't hurt anything to put some oil in the plug hole. Just be sure it's "some" oil...don't go crazy. Rotate the motor over slowly with the plug hole open a few times...do this with the flywheel bolt, not electric starter. You want to turn it slowly so as not to splash a bunch of oil into the valves. You're pulling the head off anyway, so you can clean the oil up off the piston when you get it open.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Smokin In XS

Arctra - We didn't pull the plug again, but that would have been a good idea. I'll pull it and have a looksee. Also, the smoke had an odd sweet smell to it.

If it was a flooding carb issue, would this have any effect on the them of the bike? It seems like the carb would be flooding all the time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acole - How would a MC repair shop determine a HG failure? Pressure test? Is it something we could do at our shop?

Cousin Larry - I don't know the manufacture of the 351 conversion; do they all use the same HG? Which gasket are we talkin cause there is that spacer between the head and the block that appears to use the same gasket?

If the engine sits for a few days as is, will some damage take place due to corosion?

Thanks everyone for your input. Anymore ideas, tips, etc. are welcome.

Edit: I just spoke to Mr. Blue, and he is sending out a new head gasket as well as tuning tips for the Mikuni. Mr. Blue is a top notch fellow in all aspects of his business it seems.

Another question: Why is coolant spitting out of the overflow? Weird.
IMO there is little doubt that the HG is blown but to answer your question they test for exhaust gases coming from the radiator and pressure test the system. No you probably can't do this yourself.
Coolant spitting out of the overflow is excess pressure in the system caused by the blown HG and overheating.
Everything the others are saying is correct.
Don't muck about.
Get the head off a.s.a.p and get that water and coolant out of the bore and sump before it does further damage.
(For what it's worth I used to run a GM & BMW workshop here in NZ.) But this is not rocket science just get' er done.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Exactly. Get the head off now. drain the oil, I would pull the cylinder as well. no sense in messing around. Look at this as an opportunity to learn about a thumper motor, for free.