SMOG??? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Question SMOG??? wtf?

Okay sooo, I've been hearing a lot about this SMOG junk. What is it actually, what does it do and is it worth taking off

Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Wish I Could Help you.
I Think that stuff came out for bikes after my bike.
But, Not sure of that too.
Do Know its not there anymore if it was.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DSBoomerRider
Okay sooo, I've been hearing a lot about this SMOG junk. What is it actually, what does it do and is it worth taking off
I'm going to take a stab at this assuming it's the same system a car uses. On my specific car they called it a secondary air injection system. It basically blew hot air into the exhaust to help warm the catalytic converter up quickly as well as thin out the excessive emissions. I'm not entirely sure if our bikes have cats or not, but the idea should work just the same for diluting the exhaust.

So to dumb it down, it shoots fresh air into the exhaust to thin out the emissions to help pass EPA standards and be more green.

I had my old car's air injection hose come loose, that caused a check engine light and the headache of finding the bad hose with all the crap under the hood... be glad bikes aren't quite that complicated.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

theres a evap canister for the tank, air recirculator (air from crank case is sent threw the engine to be burned if im correct), and a cat. converter. not sure if its all on every bike or if some is cali only. ive herd you have to cap the bottem of the tank but some one else will have to chime in here, i did my tank at the same time.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Default Smog

SMOG it stands for Spanish Motorcycle Owners Group, we had our yearly ride Saturday.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

removing the smog system gains no power difference, supposedly. However it does reduce areas of potential vacuum leaks. I also saw a post where a guy ripped into the stock exhaust and did not find a cati-converter. I chucked that butt plug anyway for something more akin to what the bike should have.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 15568
SMOG it stands for Spanish Motorcycle Owners Group, we had our yearly ride Saturday.
^^^Thats Great!^^^

Old 10-14-2009, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member

07 didnt have a cat, 09's do (from what i know, but im pretty sure im right). removing it also drops exhuast temps, a good thing if you ride as hard as i do.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The air injection system injects air into the exhaust so it can complete the combustion process in the exhaust as opposed to letting it into the atmosphere as unburned hydrocarbons. It shouldn't hurt the power or anything but damn I ripped mine out because it's just too much crap on such a little motor.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
theres a evap canister for the tank, air recirculator (air from crank case is sent threw the engine to be burned if im correct), and a cat. converter. not sure if its all on every bike or if some is cali only. ive herd you have to cap the bottem of the tank but some one else will have to chime in here, i did my tank at the same time.
what do you mean by cap the bottom of the tank?

Quick Reply: SMOG??? wtf?