small handpump

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default small handpump

Can anyone recommend a small, compact handpump? I need it for getting off the trails and going from 15 to 30 for the highways. My friend had an electric pump and it sucked and took forever. Never buy tools from Harbor Frieght if you can help it. Anyhow I want to keep my bike light and compact and don't want to rely on co2 cartridges.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Look at a bicycle shop. If anyone would carry light weight small pumps it would be a bicycle shop. Just do a search for bike pumps on Amazon. Lots of small ones.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:44 AM
1st Gear Member

You should get one for fat tire bike like this one https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ai...ike-mini-pump/. Otherwise you will find that you have to pump a lot to get enough air in a motorcycle tire with a small bike pump.

Old 06-04-2020, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Ha! Now that is a good one, can't handle a CO2 cartridge? Your thoughts are going to change, have you ever pumped up a tire with a minipump! OMG, talk about taking forever! Hope you didn't throw your HF elec pump away! HA! good one this morning.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I have two of these, one for each road bike, and a bicycle hand pump for the klx. If you go the hand pump make sure you get one that fits the proper tube valve size for the fat tires and not the skinny 700 x 23 tubes with Schrader valves.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
Ha! Now that is a good one, can't handle a CO2 cartridge? Your thoughts are going to change, have you ever pumped up a tire with a minipump! OMG, talk about taking forever! Hope you didn't throw your HF elec pump away! HA! good one this morning.
Well, I'm glad I gave you a laugh. Yes, the pump is in the trash only because it was falling apart. He is planning on buying a new one so we'll see if the hand pump can hold it's ground to the electric pump. I don't like relying on his gear all the time and it's always good to have a backup. I've heard mixed opinions on this but I've also heard if you run out of cartridges you're screwed and there's been a few stories where people have limped out of slow leak situations on hand pumps. durielk, would you like to recommend a c02 pump for the klx? Like I said I'm running 15lbs offroad and going back up to 30 so I have no idea if one cartridge will over, or underfill this amount? I'm all ears! Also going to start carrying tools to change flats. This last trip we took was just too far out to not have this.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

The air in -- air out is limited due to the short intake stroke and small barrel on a mini pump. I used to carry a foot pump which still took some time, but at least I was standing. A lot of cyclist carry CO2 cartridges along with a small hand pump. The cartridges are pretty inexpensive and the amount and rate of the gas can be controlled with a valve. A couple of years ago I took the back way to the top of Mt. Lemmon. Once there, I stopped at an overlook and found a small pouch that contained a small pump and a set up for CO2 cartridges. So, good enough for them, good enough for me. Now I carry and use it when neeeded.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

That is a bicycle kit, you guys are going to learn something here!!!!!
And I am a biker! pedal type you yahoo's! I have a lot of cartridges and they come in different styles. You have screw-on/press-on/threaded/unthreaded/controlvalve/no-controlvalve/12oz/16oz/24oz.
Depends on how good you are around the tire. Your going to need big cartridges.
The problem on the moto is the screw on units let a lot off air out while your trying to get it off. So on the moto I use presson type. The threadless co2 are cheaper, and sometimes you can't get them in the big size. So I would go with what you can find in big cartridges and get a presson, if it has a control valve that's good but not totally necessary. Your going to need a lot of co2's, especially if your patching, take a minipump to mess with the tubes, but I'd use the co2 to air the tire. It's going to take 1 or 2 depends on what air you need to run/per flat min just to get a good tube up.
The easy solution is what I run, tubliss and just take plastic ties. I carry some co2/charger if I need a quick squirt to get the air back up.
On my road bike (pedal type!) I'm running a new to me threaded/presta valve threadless co2 12 oz, I carry 3 of them, 2 tubes, and none of that other shiet. That is useless!!! ha! I have yet to use it, we will see.

Last edited by durielk; 06-04-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
The easy solution is what I run, tubliss and just take plastic ties.
Could you explain the use of zip ties? I have the tubliss but haven't heard of zip ties on the tire. I would guess that if you lose air pressure that wrapping zip ties around the tire and rim will stiffen the sidewall and keep the tire from spinning on the rim?

Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

You should look at tubliss www site. There are 2 areas with pressure, outer tire & inner bead tube. If the outer loses pressure, the inner tube still holds the tire on the rim. Just use tape/zipties/velco around the tire/rim & through the spokes to help stablize everything, limp home. You may ruin the tire, but easier than a trail patch. I actually haven't used this practice, but I've never fixed a moto flat on the trail either. I've done a lot of pedal bike tire repairs though.

Quick Reply: small handpump