Slippin' Sliders

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Slippin' Sliders

After my bike slid out on gravel ,I realized the amount of bike damage could have probably been minimized if I had bar sliders and axle or frame sliders.

I have yet to find any sliders specifically made for this bike at a reasonable cost.

I've read posts of guys using thread all and skateboard wheels, but I cant help but wonder if that small thread all can really hold up in a wreck. Do you guys know if these actually work well?

I was also considering making custom frame sliders by utilizing the silver triangle shaped engine mount that sit right behind the horn. What do you guys think?

Also should any universal streetbike bar end sliders fit dirt bike bars?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lawnica1
After my bike slid out on gravel ,I realized the amount of bike damage could have probably been minimized if I had bar sliders and axle or frame sliders.

I have yet to find any sliders specifically made for this bike at a reasonable cost.

I've read posts of guys using thread all and skateboard wheels, but I cant help but wonder if that small thread all can really hold up in a wreck. Do you guys know if these actually work well?

I was also considering making custom frame sliders by utilizing the silver triangle shaped engine mount that sit right behind the horn. What do you guys think?

Also should any universal streetbike bar end sliders fit dirt bike bars?
Hey Lawnica1, I couldn't believe how hard it was to find front & rear axle sliders!!! These may not be the cheap & cheerful homemade sliders you asked for in your post but an alternative if anyone has had trouble finding the damn things to buy!

Firstly what are they actually called?? Bobbins....Sliders....Mushrooms....Protectors!! get any of these keywords wrong in a search & your toast.

I really wanted a set of SuperMotoEngineering (SME) sliders but some time last year they stopped production & most shops that still advertise this product are just selling off the last scraps of stock & i can confirm NO one has any SME stuff for the KLX SF or D-Tracker.

A friend sent me a set of rear axle Mushrooms ($25) from a shop in the UK, for a DRz400 & he promised they would fit.....They did , they just needed an inch trimming off the studding. It's pretty thick studding & tough Mushrooms & I can confirm these would not break off, even if i repeatedly bashed them with a heavy hammer!! The DRz400 front kit will NOT fit your bike....The studding needs to be quite a bit thinner in diameter to fit through the front axle.

The engine protectors I bought from a shop in Thailand: ¡Ñ¹ÅéÁ´éÒ¹¢éÒ§ D-Tracker 250 :: Rear sets,Frame Slider, à¡ÕÂÃìâ§, ¡Ñ¹ÅéÁ, they are super solid & actually go through the frame.....very tough!!

This is a picture of them on my bike below:

I also got a R&G exhaust slider sent to me from the UK. I can also confirm that the generic oval exhaust slider (EP0005bk), sometimes called the R&G generic OVAL SuperMoto slider ....fits the FMF exhaust perfectly.

Good luck

Last edited by JoelThailand; 07-23-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Joel! I can't believe how hard it is to find sliders either! I REALLY like those frame sliders they are exactly what I wanted. Would you mind telling me more about them? Is there a through bolt the runs through both of them or do they use stock bolts. What sixe diameter and how long is the pipe the sliders are on? I think I might try to make those if I can find some free time.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Unless of course I can find a cheap retailer here in the states that is...

Old 07-25-2013, 04:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Joel! I can't believe how hard it is to find sliders either! I REALLY like those frame sliders they are exactly what I wanted. Would you mind telling me more about them? Is there a through bolt the runs through both of them or do they use stock bolts. What sixe diameter and how long is the pipe the sliders are on? I think I might try to make those if I can find some free time.
This is another Thai bike shop that sells these engine guards, just a slightly different style than mine but the same thru frame design!

¡Ñ¹ÅéÁ d-tracker250 :: ÈÙ¹ÂìÃÇÁÍÐäËÅ赡áµè§Ã¶,ÍÐäËÅèö,·èÍáµè§,ÅéÍ,ÍØ»¡Ã³ ìáµè§Ã¶,Big Bike,Kawasaki,Honda,Accessories,Miller High ,Quality Products

The long steel rod goes thru the frame, I think about 10mm thick. Then the plastic covers the rod with the slidders (mushrooms) going onto the ends & they have a big nut holding them on at either end with a cosmetic pretty cover over the nuts! These things are as tough as hell, I wouldn't be able to budge them a mm even with a 3' foot crowbar. They exceeded my expectations for toughness, I had no idea that the steel bar went thru the frame when I ordered them.

It has to be one the only items I have bought for my bike & not photographed before fitting!! It was late & I was tired & just got stuck into fitting the thing.

I think 1,900THB is about 60 bucks, which is ok for such a well made tough product IMO.

Last edited by JoelThailand; 07-25-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I had a spare 10 minutes & thought in the interests of science & this forum, I took one side off for you to have a look at all the pieces. The main rod is very tight, so it almost has to be screwed thru the frame, I couldn't bash thru with a rubber hammer it needed twisting thru with molegrips. The plastics all snugly slip over the rod in order & then the nut tightens everything up with a nice cosmetic cover.

Hope that helps you to make your own!

Last edited by JoelThailand; 07-28-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Ok, I had a spare 10 minutes & thought in the interests of science & this forum, I took one side off for you to have a look at all the pieces. The main rod is very tight, so it almost has to be screwed thru the frame, I couldn't bash thru with a rubber hammer it needed twisting thru with molegrips. The plastics all snugly slip over the rod in order & then the nut tightens everything up with a nice cosmetic cover.

Hope that helps you to make your own!

Thanks for the pics and info Joel! I made sliders back in august but have been so busy I forgot to post pics until now.

Attached Thumbnails Slippin' Sliders-klxmod4.jpg   Slippin' Sliders-klxmod3.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the pics and info Joel! I made sliders back in august but have been so busy I forgot to post pics until now.
Nice work on the sliders. They look good.
BTW, that's a pretty bad *** looking KLX, too.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rooster
Nice work on the sliders. They look good.
BTW, that's a pretty bad *** looking KLX, too.
Thanks Rooster!

Also I forgot to mention I actually changed the puck design a little bit since I took the pic. They are a little longer now and have a taper on the edge.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 AM
1st Gear Member

So I am also looking for some protection and I prefer to buy from within the EU so I dont get any nasty suprises in customs. I contacted the British crcompany that made Joels front crash mushrooms(Originally from a DRZ) and asked them about Mushrooms for the KLX.

This is the reply I got:

"Hi,
Sorry i dont have the sizes for that model, but if both axles are hollow all the way through and you can measure the internal axle bores in all 4 postions i can make some for you.
Thanks"

I dont really have access to a garage with tools at the moment, so if someone knows the answers to this it would be cool. Otherwise I might try to figure it out over the winter. Does anyone know the answer to this? Are the axles hollow all the way through? Does anyone have the measurements? What does he mean by "all 4 positions" ?

Quick Reply: Slippin' Sliders