A slippery Sunday morning ride

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A slippery Sunday morning ride

I woke up to a chilly sunday morning here in the Northeast, but the sun was out. Thats all I
need. I hadn't been in the dirt for a week, and my buddy and his KLR were ready to get dirty.
I decided to trailer it up to his place, as we usually kick the snot outta ourselves when we
ride together, and nothing like getting into the Olds Custom Cruiser for a comfy ride
home (with heat) afterwards.

Of course we waste some time having breakfast, and hope the frost on the pumpkins might
dissapear. Lucky us, it warmed up enough, at least we cant see our breath anymore, or
smell it. . . .

Im'a thinkin this tire just about made it through the season, cant wait to put a new one on
for the spring.

Not to shabby for 60% on road travel

So, off we went. Aint no poking around today, he like a rapid pace, which demands I turn it
up a few notches.
Holy sh*t, there are a ton of leaves out here

The slipping and sliding was fun, ya never know whats under the leaves. It has been raining
a lot the past week, so there are plenty of suprises. Lots of mud, and plenty of puddles
that you dont even see.
We have to hit a few roads to get into the good stuff,

We got into George Washington State Park and started ripping along on the fire roads.

You might notice my buddy isnt in many pictures yet, well, he has a KLR 650 that he rides
like its a KX 250. Wide f-in open all the time. There is a good set of Power lines that cut
through the State Park, and it gets a lot of 4-wheeler action out there. Its good to keep
the squirell chasers busy.

You can really tear a$$ along on these lines. And I hasta baby, just trying to keep the KLR in sight. Man, he rips along but good.
I really like these trails through here, very good riding.

A quick check of the GPS, make sure I know where I am still

We rode along these powerlines for a while, then headed over to connect to the underground gas line trail. As usual, someone decided to close the gate.

Ok, we will backtrack a bit, and find away around it, no problem. The trail would prove to be a real challenge, no need to haul a$$ in this mess, nice and easy for a change

We followed this messy trail for a bit, it was real slippery and lots of the typical 3 R's. Rocks, Ruts, and Roots. I love New England !!

We needed to gather our bearings a bit, check the time, breath deep again, and get ready to let it rip again

The KLX looks like the KLR's little brother

Off we went and circled our way around to the muddy part of the powerlines. It was wet and slippery, just like I like my women. Hard to ride, but very satisfying when your done.

Got a smoke !!

What a great ride that was. 35 miles of slippery mud, nasty rocks, and lots of water and wet leaves. We hit the road and went off to another buddys. He has it made. A motocross track in his back yard. Not to many pictures of that, I was hanging on in there. Wow, I knew I was gonna be glad I had the Couch ( custom cruiser) for the ride home

We tore it up good in there. It was here I realized that the KLX really needs some heavy springs to hold up my fat old a$$. It also needs the shocks tweaked different for that style of riding on a track. It was a blast there, lots of whoops, lots of good single jumps, plenty of mud, plenty of wet slippery leaves, and a good amount of mud sandwiches. That SOB loved to rooster tail by on his KX-250, all rippin an diggin !!

53 hard miles, but boy was it a great ride
I think I am still a little bit sore, but still I'm smiling like an idiot !!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for sharing mate. Good to see your still getting out now the the colder weather is upon you. Summers just starting down here.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Great stuff! I really need to man up and ride all the highline around here. I just don't wanna get busted by The 5-0.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

A good ride with good pics. Can't beat that. Congrats

Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice report as usual, 42.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

dude.... I'm just stoked on your car, that thing is PIMP! You can't get ahold of an old station wagon with wood paneling. Sweet ride.
________
Genesis Engine

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Guys, I kinda enjoy writing these.
I wish there was more scenery around here to show off, but I am still hunting for it. Next year I plan to travel a bit more and really get to some good areas along the coast and up north in the mountains. I have family in Maine and travel up there alot with the quads and the snowmobiles, and just know it will be a blast with the KLX. Its all good.

JasonFMX, that old wagon? Its my "dog" car. Vinyl interior does wonders with 2 dogs. Plus I trash it with all my dirt riding gear and crap ya lug around
Its an 83 and its immaculate underneath, no rust whatsoever, which is unusual up here. Its a good laugh when I pull into places Everyone else shows up with Tahoes and Suburbans and Silverados, aint nobody got old woodies anymore.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the great Pic's & report. I'm Missing my Bro' up in Minnesota now 'cause He always had a woody station wagon just like yours. You have some serious skills to handle those conditions with that stock Dunlop 603.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice report. Cheers.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Man thats a truckster!

Quick Reply: A slippery Sunday morning ride