skid plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't have the WC plate, so i may not know what I'm talking about. But just looking at it, I can't tell what it protects. the frame is fully exposed still. Before I put on the Ricochet, my first fall on the bike bent the u-shape protector up to the water pump. And that wasn't a hard fall. Any harder it would have pushed it into the water pump, probably damaging it. I don't know about you, but I would rather bash something that is bolted to the frame, not welded to it.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsteele
I don't have the WC plate, so i may not know what I'm talking about. But just looking at it, I can't tell what it protects. the frame is fully exposed still. Before I put on the Ricochet, my first fall on the bike bent the u-shape protector up to the water pump. And that wasn't a hard fall. Any harder it would have pushed it into the water pump, probably damaging it. I don't know about you, but I would rather bash something that is bolted to the frame, not welded to it.
Yeah, that's the reason most use a "full coverage" skid plate. Motocrossers and such don't generally have a need for such armor, but enduro/desert racers and just plain trail riders encounter all manner of land mines out there. Those worried about mud buildup in the full skid plate can drill some large holes...and many such skid plates often come with the holes already there...makes it lighter too. Full coverage skid plates are a nice insurance, but to each his own.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have the Utah skid plate.

Name:  Picture_0407.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  Picture_0408.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  Picture_0409.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  112.3 KB

Name:  Picture_0410.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  105.6 KB

And I just threw this one in because it was funny....hahahaha

Name:  funny-pictures-cpr-cat.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  43.9 KB

Old 06-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Dang......my bike was dirty in those pictures.......

Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't think a bike would last too long up here in the NE with that WC plate!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsteele
Wow, not sure what you hit but I dont think any plate would help if you bent the u-shaped protectors. They are steel, all of these skid-plates are aluminum and are bolted to / supported by the frame. Other than scratches, none of these plates provide much in the way of protecting the frame from excessive impact.

What the WC does provide is a useful "skid-plate" (as do all of these products). So when crossing rocks, logs, etc. the frame will not get hung up. The bottom of the bike is completely smooth and you skid across obstacles. What it lacks vs the wing style is additional protection for the water pump (and perhaps a little added protection for the shifter and brake).

My KDX200 basically has the same frame u-shaped protector setup. I used an Acerbis plastic skid-plate to keep from getting hung up (similar in style to the WC). Many years of NE riding and I never had a problem with it. Maybe I'm just lucky but it's works well for me.

Bottom line, more protection certainly cant hurt. Just a matter of what you think you need and what you are comfortable with.

D

Old 06-17-2010, 12:19 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Despite the plate being made of aluminum in most cases, it distributes an impact way better than a sharp rock pinpointing directly into our steel guard frame loops. At least I would think so.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Dang......my bike was dirty in those pictures.......
Yeah but the skid plate looks brand spanking new....what, no curbs at the local Walmart to bang it up on?

Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Yeah but the skid plate looks brand spanking new....what, no curbs at the local Walmart to bang it up on?
LOL...

Dirty???? You mean water spots???? If it's ok that I have them on my drinking glasses it's ok if you have them on your bike.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:49 AM
1st Gear Member

that wc one is nice, havent seen it. now would i get one, maybe. from where i bent mine, i think i would have ko'ed the bike had i of had that. do i think it looks good, damn stright (sucker for the mx look).

Quick Reply: skid plates