Skid plate opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Skid plate opinions

Just wondering if you guys and or gals could chime in with your opinion on skid plates. My next purchase before the big bore kit, is a skid plate. I saw a couple posts about skid plates vibrating at certain rpms and I am just wondering if there is a "best" skid plate to get. I like the bill blue skid plate he has. I've looked at 2 or 3 other types of skid plates online. But as with many aftermarket parts for our bikes, it seems I have more choices then brains, so I have to get opinions

PS......washington is about to get hit with its 3rd storm in 4 days.......each storm is a carbon copy of the previous.......70-80mph winds on the coast and many inches of rain. Ummmmmmmmm apparently I am done riding for awhile. Spring possibly?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

My skid plate is homemade.....I just took an old skid plate off a honda trx420 four wheeler sanded spray painted it cut the wings off bent it and installed it on the bike.....Doesn't really make noise unless the U-bolts loosen up!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

this weather is just about crazy, downed trees, power outages...i love it. but not so conducive for riding, my chainsaw is getting a workout now tho

Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the Utah skidplate is the favorite among KLX owners.

I took the long way and made my own.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=27266

Old 11-19-2009, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the ricochet/utah sport skid plate and love it. Not too bulky, but great coverage and very solid. Awesome price too. I've taken many good hits on mine already, with no problems. Several places carry it, but I got mine through RMATV and spent a bit more to get free shipping.

I know BB makes one, and I'm sure it is top notch. However, I was steered away by 1) Price, and 2) Looks/bulk

Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Utah skid plate also and it is alright. The outside corner near the water pump is the weakest point I have found. (water pump is still okay, so it did do it's job) I would look for one with more protection in that area if you can find it.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 (or would it be +4)on the Utah skid plate. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. It's rocky here in the mountains of Virgina almost like out west.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

You could put some 1" wide foam weather seal between the frame and skid plate to eliminate metal on metal contact, eliminating rattle or vibe noises.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Bill Blue, only complaint is I think it should have been 1 guage heavier on the material(although it has taking quite a good beating).

Old 11-22-2009, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

^ agree with thicker. My Ricochet (utah sports) gets dents and bends, I have to pound out from time to time. On a recent ride a friends "ear" on his plate (same brand) got pushed into the waterpump cracking the housing on a not too hard hit. Not bashing the brand, it's better than nothing, But it'd be nice ifthey offered a heavier model.

Quick Reply: Skid plate opinions