skid plate is in

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: skid plate is in

So I got tired of waiting for the plate last night, which I had inside information that it would be here yesterday, so I fell asleep around 7:30 or 8:00. I know I must be getting old, falling asleep that early while waiting for something to get here for the bike. [sm=jawdrop.gif] Well actually my neck and back are out really bad, got it put in on Monday, and its gonna take a couple more visits to get better. But right now I can't even turn my head. Anyhoo, I woke up thinking where was my skid plate? Well then it dawned on me that the UPS guy doesn't knock on your door here in my one stop light town, he just leaves the package on the porch. Ive seen brand new computers and other expensive stuff just sitting on people's porches waiting to be brought in. Anyway I headed to the door in my underwear (insert vision here ) and there it was on the porch. So after getting dressed and ready for work, I took the box to the garage and opened it. My first impression is that these guys really did a nice job on the welds. A lot of places glob on the welds on aluminum and it ends up with really tall beads. The plate looks awesome. And to top it all off, I intercepted the package before my wife could see it...........is that wrong?

Old 11-15-2006, 05:36 PM

And you tell me to stay away from the computer?

Does your wife have any idea how much the Muzzy exhaust set you back ? ? ? ? ?

Ain't life in a small town just great? I had a US Mail delivery one day. The letter was addressed to "Marty" in Umatilla, Florida. It was delivered to my house!

Heck, nobody here ever uses directional signals! We all know where each other are going!

Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

And you tell me to stay away from the computer?

Does your wife have any idea how much the Muzzy exhaust set you back ? ? ? ? ?

Ain't life in a small town just great? I had a US Mail delivery one day. The letter was addressed to "Marty" in Umatilla, Florida. It was delivered to my house!

Heck, nobody here ever uses directional signals! We all know where each other are going!

The less she knows the better off I am. Actually she never sees what anything costs, since I rolled all of the bike work and goodies into the kawi card. But when it takes me 10 years instead of 5 to pay off the card, she's gonna get su****ious.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Guess what I just got about 3 minutes ago?

You guessed it!!!

(FYI for anybody in Canada - there was $15.09 in customs charges.)

Mike

Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 PM

It looks like at least two of our illustrious (sp?) members have not heard anything from USC. In case there are others, let me know. I have a call out to Mike @ USC right now. He is supposed to call me back when he gets back from lunch. I am hoping that we just have a case of a couple of lost emails and the plates are actually on their way. I noticed on the UPS tracking site that my plate is on schedule for delivery tomorrow.

I will let you folks know what I find out.

Chris

Old 11-15-2006, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the no email saying the plate has been shipped... all i have as of yet is order confirmation recepts etc in my email... nothing saying it was shipped or an email.... if ya need anymore info cwgoff, feel free to pm me or if ya still have my email u can message me their.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

DG, so how was the install. Did everything bolt up just like expected? Of the 6 bolts, how many are able to use existing locations versus brackets?

Also, you may have already answer this about your side panels, but did you paint them yourself or did you get some dtracker or aftermarket black plastics?

Thanks,
Chris

It uses the same location as the factory skidplate. They supplied all the hardware. For the 2 bolts on the back I just used the old bolts, the 2 up front needed to be longer so I used the ones supplied. Then at the top of the plate is where the clamps go on the frame. It was nice to put something on this bike that was actually made for this bike.

I just painted the side panels. I used some paint that's supposed to bond better to plastics. I think I put 4 coats on each. Seems to be holding up fine.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jsac

+1 on the no email saying the plate has been shipped... all i have as of yet is order confirmation recepts etc in my email... nothing saying it was shipped or an email.... if ya need anymore info cwgoff, feel free to pm me or if ya still have my email u can message me their.

I got the order confirmation email, but no shipping notifications ... it just showed up unannounced. (I routinely check my spam folder, and even more so when I'm expecting something, so its not likely that I missed it.)

It would be nice if other people's plates are enroute without them being aware ... getting something sooner than being told you'll get it later is always nice.

Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 01:41 AM

I received an order confirmation, but nothing else.

I'm sure it will show up! I'm patient . . . . but only so patient!

Old 11-16-2006, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Its all bolted on and it looks real nice!

I was a little skeptical about getting the USC plate, and really had my heart set on a CRD "wrap-around" style plate with the slots, etc.. I knew that a CRD plate just wasn't going to happen, so figured that USC was the best alternative.

Well, I couldn't be happier! This will sound strange, but it looks a LOT nicer on the bike in real life than any of the pictures can show. I think that Mike and the guys at USC have done a great job, and produced a great plate. So for anyone who, like myself, was hoping for a "CRD Wannabe" ... you won't be disappointed!

It took just under 10 minutes to install, and like Duane said: "It was nice to put something on this bike that was actually made for this bike." Everything lined up perfectly, and all the bolts go in finger tight without any fidgeting (Ok, the clamps at the top took all of about three seconds of fidgeting.) Two hex wrenches tighten it up nice and snug, and then you're whistling Dixie!

And speaking of whistling Dixie, there were a few guys who mentioned during the design phase that they would like to see a few holes drilled around the plate. Anyone wanna volunteer to drill a couple and let us know if it does whistle Dixie? (I'm only asking because I used to have an old pair of car roof racks that would howl in the wind when driving between 56 and 58 MPH.) I can see that dirt build-up and cleaning might be an issue, but I'll wait to see how big a problem it turns out to be.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that more plates get delivered in time for the weekend!

Quick Reply: skid plate is in