Shredded Tube (Read Me!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by skubidoobie
I picked a Motion Pro rim lock locally, but they didn't have one for the front. Not that it matters much, I don't think I'll be spinning the tube in the front tire.
The "smooth, consistent" style is always faster. Look well ahead and use the engine breaking. No need for harsh front end pull ups, (that'll have your front tyre spinning, especially on the tar.)
Just can't help myself spinning the rear. Rimlock is a must.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 08-13-2009 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by skubidoobie
I picked a Motion Pro rim lock locally, but they didn't have one for the front. Not that it matters much, I don't think I'll be spinning the tube in the front tire.

I tore my front one first. YMMV

Old 08-13-2009, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know how you guys run high pressure off road.
In the loose stuff I find anything over 16psi no good at all.
The front in particular is way too loose and the bike doesn't want to turn in.
Combine that with less drive from the rear and it becomes a real handful.
And its really bad in the loose gravel that is often encountered where I do most of my riding.
I run 10-12 psi now with extra heavy duty tubes and a rear rim lock.
Suites me.

The problem for me is on the tar.
Those low psi's give me no confidence on the flat stuff thats for sure.
You can feel the front squirm if your too hot into a corner.
But I'm running MX tyres so 2 drops of water and a bit of oil tends to focus the mind a little.

I might try one of those 606's next time and see if that is better.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

+1. Those high pressures make the bike feel like its bouncing around like a basketball. Maybe it's OK for the sand that Woz rides.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

We've had alot of rim spins on the KLX, myself included. Rim lock is a must. High pressure in the tires isn't an option for my riding style or terrain. Traction sucks... Get that tire balanced with spoke weights if you add a rim lock.
Ride on.

M

Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I stay in the 15-18PSI range. No problems yet, and we run some pretty rocky stuff around here.
Next time I have the 606 off the back I am putting in a rimlock.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Drill the rim and put in a 2nd opposing rim lock - extra protection against spinning on the rim, can nurse a flat out of the woods without tearing up the rim if needed, and it's also self-balancing. A little hard to make out, but they are there. That's the Pirelli MT-16, btw. That photo taken at Hatfield McCoy last September, Scorpion Pro front.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
+1. Those high pressures make the bike feel like its bouncing around like a basketball. Maybe it's OK for the sand that Woz rides.
18 psi front and rear. I've tried as low as 12 psi front and rear with the tyres I have with little improvement, if any over 18 psi. The D606 has a really stiff carcass and even with my 90 KG (geared up) I gained no extra traction at 12 psi (stopwatch confirmed.) I like the idea I'm giving the rim that little bit extra protection from dings and pinches. The only thing I found that helps in the sand is speed and a smooth style .Faster is better.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I've been told lower pressures don't really help in the sand. The sand gives way underneath the tire so that certainly makes sense - there's nothing for the tire to really grab onto and deform around. I don't ride enough sand to say I have any real experience in it, though. Not so for rocks and roots, though, lower pressures make a huge difference. But you need to guard against going too low, otherwise risk a pinch flat. Rim locks are a must. Also, I use those Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes which feel about as thick as a diver's wet suit. They are heavy, but to be honest, I don't notice the weight and I like the extra flat protection they give.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the extra heavy tubes.
The extra weight can't be a good thing though.
Unsprung and adds to the gyroscopic effect.
I can't notice it to be honest and I like running a low tyre pressure so its a compromise.
You might notice it more on the highway I guess?

BTW, the guys from the Trail and Enduro club recommended 14 psi for most riders in most off road conditions.
This was at a riding clinic prior to the recent Adventure Rally at Mornington Mills.
The first hour was spent teaching bike set up.
This included a bit of everything from lever angle to how to change a tyre.
That bit was a bit boring.

Quick Reply: Shredded Tube (Read Me!)