Should it stay or should it go now

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Should it stay or should it go now

OK, here is the deal. I am going away with the race team again up to Maine for a riding weekend. So far there are 3 quads and 4 bikes going. I have one of each.
On labor day weekend I loaded up the toy hauler and went up to central Maine for the weekend and I took the quad.
Name:  DSC01348.jpg
Views: 1780
Size:  137.2 KB
It was aweome up there.60 miles one day, over 70 the next day. Its wicked rugged terrain up there. Lots of rocks, ruts and roots, as well as serious mountain side climbing.

Name:  DSC01417.jpg
Views: 1728
Size:  308.9 KB
My favorite sign !!

The whole time I was there on the trails, I kept thinking how it would be on the bike instead of the quad. The quad is heavy, and it kicks your *** after 8 hours.
Name:  DSC01536.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  263.8 KB

The bike is 1/2 the weight, and a lot less tiring after 8 hours. However I am more comfortable riding the quad. I have been on them for 10 years and can ride the snot out of it. I have only had the KLX since April, got about 2500 miles on it, but still aint sure of my comfort level on it.I am heading into deeper terrain on my after work adventures, but tend to scare myself a bit because I am alone.

So, should I take the quad and kick my own *** good, or should I take the KLX, and try not to be paranoid about kicking its *** and breaking something.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

my klx kicked my *** broke my wrist on it about a week after i got it. lol

Old 09-18-2008, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Got room in the trailer for both?

Old 09-18-2008, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
The whole time I was there on the trails, I kept thinking how it would be on the bike instead of the quad. The quad is heavy, and it kicks your *** after 8 hours.

I am heading into deeper terrain on my after work adventures, but tend to scare myself a bit because I am alone.

So, should I take the quad and kick my own *** good, or should I take the KLX, and try not to be paranoid about kicking its *** and breaking something.
Sounds like you already know. Bike All the way, if you break it, F it and fix it no biggie....been there done that.

Now sell that quad or just park it for now .....and smoke your buddies on their quads and get them to buy a two wheels too.

Your confidence on two wheels will grow exponentially trust me....I'm a phisherman.....I can smoke all my buds on quads now...anywhere ... anytime.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 what FingerMullet said. You won't get better on your klx by riding your quad.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 and take lots of pics

Old 09-18-2008, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

pun intended? 'smoke all my buds'.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Get one of these.

Oh and call me when you leave so I can tag along.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

" pun intended? 'smoke all my buds'. "

Didnt everyone wonder how JRock420 missed that !!!! :-)

I could bring both, but as is typical, one of my machines would end up as a back-up. Back-ups are NOT good to bring, cause it tends to make you (and everyone else) reckless. So it will only be one.
I really do want to bring the KLX, but still have my doubts, as I dont want to be the slow guy. We do tend to ride hard and fast, and my confidence level on the KLX is a lot less then on the quad. I am not sure if my comfort level is there yet, I am still not as dialed in as I want to be on it yet. When I was a youngster I rode a lot on my old Hodaka, and my Bultaco, maybe it was cause I was young, but I was so tuned into those bikes, it was like you was one with them. I dont have that confidence yet on the KLX. I am putting a new set of Bars on it this weekend, and hope they will help me straighten up a bit when I am standing up. Right now I feel like I am leaned to far foward and just dont feel like I get my rythm going.
Maybe after the bars are on it will make it easier to decide.

Deej, I would love to have one of those toy haulers, but the budget just cant pull it off. I have been looking at the Keystone Raptor 5th wheel Toy Haulers, there pricey when new, but something 2-3 years old is affordable. I know the Cummin Dually will pull it around, its just difficult to justify the $$ for a few weekends a year.

Attached Thumbnails Should it stay or should it go now-hauler.jpg  
Old 09-19-2008, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Why do you need a toy hauler? Roughing it is the only way to go. All you need is a truck and the bike. Everything else, just throw in the bed or in the cab. Need a place to sleep? Sleep in a tent or in the cab. Its not an adventure unless you leave all the unnesseray crap behind.

Quick Reply: Should it stay or should it go now