should I buy a KLX250s??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Default should I buy a KLX250s??

I've been looking to upgrade my '86 XR200R, plus I want to finally get my motorcycle licence and start commuting and just going for road rides since I dont make it to the trails as much as I would like to.
The 3 guys I ride with have pre 2000 XR400R's, platted or getting platted. I would like a new hassle free bike, I have a muscle/drag car etc that already eats up my time working on it. I was thinking a DRz400S, but I live in Vancouver and our riding always gets steep and technical and i think the DR will be too heavy and seems pretty outdated as far as forks and 5 speed. A local dealer has some 2011 KLX250s's for pretty cheap and they seem liek nice bikes. I'm 6'2" 190lbs and the bike is about the same size as my xr200, and seems shorter than the DR400 or WR250R.

Just wondering how the 250 will be on the street for power. Im not so worried about it offroad since Im not racing, just want enough power for a good trail bike when it gets steep. But just wondering how they are on the road/highway? Just dont want to be left wishing I hadnt got the 400. And I really only want ! bike, for now anyways....

It sounds like a new pipe, airbox mod and re-jet are well worth it.

thanks
Mat

Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

This is my first bike and I've been happy with it. I imagine that it doesn't have the go that a sport bike does, but I've gotten it up to around 75 and that's with stock everything. I'm happy I bought it so far.

Mike

Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!

Well KLX haters notwithstanding, the bike is awesome!!! I'm 6-1 and weigh 250 ans the bike is great. I had a new pipe installed, the carb jetted and swapped out the 14-42 sprockets for a 13-45 set. For me the bike is now setup perfect. Now all of that being said, a lot of guys have opted for the big bore kit and it sounds like a great overall upgrade. The bike is light enough to throw around on the trails, and even with the gear upgrade the bike still does the speed limit on the highway. Let us know what you decide. If I had a time machine I admittedly I would travel back 6 years and would probably buy the Honda 650, some say its a big bike but a few years after buying the KLX I sat on the 650 and it felt perfect to me, plus no power mods needed. dont get me wrong, I love my KLX and will never get rid of it, but the XR 650 is sexy!!!

Old 06-09-2012, 01:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Welcome to the forums!

Well KLX haters notwithstanding, the bike is awesome!!! I'm 6-1 and weigh 250 ans the bike is great. I had a new pipe installed, the carb jetted and swapped out the 14-42 sprockets for a 13-45 set. For me the bike is now setup perfect. Now all of that being said, a lot of guys have opted for the big bore kit and it sounds like a great overall upgrade. The bike is light enough to throw around on the trails, and even with the gear upgrade the bike still does the speed limit on the highway. Let us know what you decide. If I had a time machine I admittedly I would travel back 6 years and would probably buy the Honda 650, some say its a big bike but a few years after buying the KLX I sat on the 650 and it felt perfect to me, plus no power mods needed. dont get me wrong, I love my KLX and will never get rid of it, but the XR 650 is sexy!!!

With your height and weight, yeah, the 650 is just right for you.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

After owning a KLX for 4 years, and learning to ride on it. I am looking to sell it to buy an XR650. I echo everything Deej said KLX Is great but my riding ability and style have changed and I want more power for the pavement. I have been to Death Valley three times now and IMO on the dirt you are fine, its light weight and nimbleness make up for the power when riding with bigger bikes. The problem for the KLX Is keeping up on the highway stretches. Also, i have rode with a wr250 and will tell you that is a faster bike.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:58 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Pacific northwest near Vancouver?...you're in some fairly tight terrain, aren't you? I don't think the 650 is going to be the best tool for the job there. I really like the old air-cooled 650, and it's a great DS bike for more open terrain. It becomes a handful the tighter the terrain gets. If your off road is going to be 2-track even in forest, then it will probably be OK, but if it's like some of the singletrack I often see pictured, you need a lighter bike. That bike has its roots in the desert.

The KLX is anemic in totally stock condition, but it gets decently competent off road the more you open up the motor. It's funny how different people approach the idea of an off road bike, but the reality is that few people really need or can use the fire breathing output of a plated race bike like a KTM or bikes in that vein. A KLX with a bigger bore really bridges the gap between conventional DS bikes and plated race bikes. A Yamaha WR250R does too, just at a higher price.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

No you shouldn't.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got no regrets buying mine, but it all comes down to the type of riding you'll be doing. A test ride might help you decide. It doesn't have a lot of power, but if you test ride a new one, they do seem to wake up a little bit once they get some miles on. If you're riding with guys with 400's, I'd kinda lean to the same type of bike they're on. But, if you're doing much off roading in the tight & technical stuff, and hi-speed highway running will be limited, I think I'd definitely go KLX.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yes the 650 is nice, and would be great on the road, but like TNC posted above, too heavy for the technical riding around here, same reason I thought the DR 400 want a good choice for me.Deej, sounds like the mods you did were well worth it.

Cousinlarry, why did you say no?

Thanks, been reading lots of posts, they sound like good reliable trail bikes.
Mat

Old 06-09-2012, 04:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm just kidding. I just laugh when people ask that when they're on a board of people who love the bike

If you want a great off-road bike that sees road occasionally - get an 06/07. If you want a fun road bike that occasionally hits the trails - get the 09+.

If you're an experienced rider you will want more soon after you get the bike. Tighten the suspension, exhaust, jet, big bore.. That'll make you happy

Don't get me wrong, it's a good bike as a 250, but you will want more soon enough.

Quick Reply: should I buy a KLX250s??