short video with new camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default short video with new camera

I know its not Christmas yet but i had to try my new camera out, its a Drift HD170 1080p.
its my first try so i will be playing around with mounting points on the bike.
It was set to 720p i wonted to see what it looked like first before i tried 1080p.
A crisp cold December day the wet spots were very slippery but anytime you can ride in December is a good day.
http://vimeo.com/17486264

Old 12-05-2010, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice! Funny , I didn't see any other bikes in all of that traffic you went by. LOL I like them mounted up on the helmet, but I want to experiment on different locations for my cam. I'd like to do one down low by the front wheel. That wouldn't work for off road stuff, but it would probably look cool, and would be out of harms way for an on the road video. Your quality looks great, and I'm sure it's even better before it's uploaded. What are you using to edit yours?
Dan

Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan 888
Nice! Funny , I didn't see any other bikes in all of that traffic you went by. LOL I like them mounted up on the helmet, but I want to experiment on different locations for my cam. I'd like to do one down low by the front wheel. That wouldn't work for off road stuff, but it would probably look cool, and would be out of harms way for an on the road video. Your quality looks great, and I'm sure it's even better before it's uploaded. What are you using to edit yours?
Dan
That's going to be the fun part, trying all the different spots and seeing different angles. i just used what came with the computer,Windows Movie Maker, its going to take time to do it wright.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Picture quality looks great but I noticed that the sides of the frame curve in at the top and bottom. It really showed up when you were passing electric poles on the side on the road. My GoPro HD camera did that until I found a setting that stopped that effect.

On the trails I think you'll find that it's better to mount it to your helmet. Kills some of the shake and it's easier on the camera.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great video quality, even at the lower setting. The audio could be better, but it's no worse than that of the GoPro HD that I can tell. I guess I've just been spoiled with the VIO's audio. Looks a lot easier to mount than the GoPro. I agree with tngw, see if you can work out a good helmet mount, that will take the vibration out, and may produce better audio, too without a hard anchor to bike which I'm sure picks up more noise than otherwise. Plus I think the helmet mounted position gives a better vantage of the ride, unless you're going for some specific effect to mix things up for something different.

Over 300 MB for that 4.5 minute clip, though. That's pretty huge. My average edited down helmet cam length for a hare scramble is about 30 minutes or so to get a lap or so, and the file size for that would be about 2 GB, not to mention the raw footage would be about 2 hours. That's some serious space - better buy a handful of TB hard drives if you're going to do much videoing. That's the price of HD, though, no real way around it really.

Thanks for the test run. Looks like a great camera!

Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by No Brakes
Great video quality, even at the lower setting. The audio could be better, but it's no worse than that of the GoPro HD that I can tell. I guess I've just been spoiled with the VIDEO's audio. Looks a lot easier to mount than the GoPro. I agree with tngw, see if you can work out a good helmet mount, that will take the vibration out, and may produce better audio, too without a hard anchor to bike which I'm sure picks up more noise than otherwise. Plus I think the helmet mounted position gives a better vantage of the ride, unless you're going for some specific effect to mix things up for something different.

Over 300 MB for that 4.5 minute clip, though. That's pretty huge. My average edited down helmet cam length for a hare scramble is about 30 minutes or so to get a lap or so, and the file size for that would be about 2 GB, not to mention the raw footage would be about 2 hours. That's some serious space - better buy a handful of TB hard drives if you're going to do much videoing. That's the price of HD, though, no real way around it really.

Thanks for the test run. Looks like a great camera!
your not kidding about the 300MB, it took about a hour and a half to load to Vimeo,I went to bed.
The camera came with all kinds of mounting attachments for the bike,helmet,and goggles,i am going to put the permanent mount on my motocross helmet so the day i recorded that tape i tried the strap and goggle mount but it didn't fit my full face helmet,but i do think it will sound better on a helmet.
I must say on the video the engine sounds like a sack of hammers, but honestly its not that bad.

Last edited by redbrd; 12-07-2010 at 04:40 AM.