Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

tire back on the bike? or back on the wheel? the hardest part of that whole thing is gonna be messing with the tire to get it off and on the wheel....

Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
1st Gear Member

After your 9th tire change it gets pretty easy

Old 03-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

How about trying to get a tire off a wheel that has been on there for 28 years?

nothing easy about that......

just get the old hacksaw out.....

Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds easy enough, i will probably just try and fix it myslef or at least pull the tire off and run it down to a shop to have them do it real quick.
Dave and Deej, you'd be happy to know that I downloaded the form to file a complaint with the consumer affairs department. I also mention the coincidence of my rear tire going flat and that I want to reimbursed for the repair under warranty and possibly the expense to get the tire fixed even though that probably won't happen. I am still just a little hesitant because I haven't got my exhaust from them yet and want to be sure it gets to me in one peice, figuratively speaking.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

dacoontz,

Once u commit to doing stuff like a tire change, sprocket change, etc...you'll quickly find it's not as complicated as you anticipated it to be...It's really simple really, you just have to commit to the task and you'll be surprised at how well it goes. Trust me. I just got my bike last year and didn't know squat about dirtbikes, but already I've learned so much and I haven't had to take my bike to the shop for any of it. Like I said most of what you'll get into with maintenance is simple..just gotta take the plunge. If u get stuck, the forum guys are always here to help.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not worried. I know you guys have my back, especially after my latest disaster. So thanks, I do appreciate the help and encouragement. I do have one question though, is there something you can do to help avoiding this stem problem? Isn't there a part that keeps it from moving around in the tire?

Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear Member

dacoontz, I personally would not mention the tire in the complaint to kawi.

Now stop and take a deep breath....buy three GOOD tire irons and learn to do it yourself...this is pretty much mandatory to ride off-road....gotta be able to patch a flat, ya know.

Someone post a link to that cool vid of the guy at the mx track that does the tire change instruction....good stuff. btw ... you'll never be that fast or easy...lol...but it gets better with practice.

Just for reference....it is REAL rewarding to be able to patchyour tire with just your field tools on an adventure....lets say Costa Rica for example or anywhere for that matter...makes ya confident in your skilzzz

Old 03-14-2008, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you're probably right, I should just let it go. As for the link, I looked it up in a past forum and actually watched it yesterday, they just don't show the guy pull it off the bike or put it back on. I am actually more worried about screwing that part up more than anything. Do you have to do anything with the brake calipers or does the disc just slide right out? And like I mentioned, is there any upgrade that I can do with the rim or tube stem to prevent the stem shifting thing that must have happened?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

You ain't gonna screw it up....just take the damn tire off...lol.

As far as the valve stem....you got a few choices...keep the air pressure above 18 psi ....loosen the nut that secures the stem to the rim, so it can move around a little.....(3) Let other kawi memebers post their opinions

Old 03-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea its easy to take the wheel off... just keep an eye how the chaing adjusters go on... and where the washers are and stuff like that.... the brake rotor just slides right out from the brake pads... its easy.

Quick Reply: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next