Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

I think if nothing is resolved by next week then I will just go pick it up, my big gun exhaust should be arriving by then anyway and myabe doing some mods will help. As for the ignition system, I have no idea if they have checked it out and I don't know enough about it to check anything. Although that seems to be the step that is failing, no ignition.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with ems, it shouldn't be that difficult for a liscenced mechanic to figure out...gas, spark, compression...bingo so what's missing? Can you smell gas after trying to start it? If so, then check the plug..is it getting spark (a good spark?),AND lastly,I would definately drain some of the extra oil. If it calls for 1.5 liters, that's all I would put in.

FWIW..I was told too much oil can bypass the rings and foul the plug, and possibly damage the rings.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, I'll be "the guy" and post this. The KLX is not a complicated machine. All of the technology used to run this motor has been used for at least a decade, and most of it even longer. Any motorcycle tech, within an hour (if he is slow), should be able to tell why the machine doesn't start. One hour should cover all the bases. Random hard starting is another thing, but if is just won't start the problem is right there in front of them.

I know you are not working on this machine yourself, but they should be checking things in about this order.
Does it turn over (crank) at a reasonable speed?
Does it have adequate spark at the plug?
Does it have fuel at the plug?
Does the engine pump air?
Does it have compression with decompression devices disabled?
Does it have properly timed events (spark and mechanical events)?

Those are the basics, if they fail to uncover the problem (rare) then you dig deeper, not in order.
Does it have burnable fuel (substitute fuel supplyto prove)?
Does it have air and fuel in a ratio that will start the engine (supply alternate fuel to start)?
Does it have a new plug and does it pass the spark test with a spark tester?
Does it pass a compression test, but have excessive leak down (perform leak down test)?
Are there modifications that seriously alter the basic engine mechanicals (crazy cam, dished piston, 88mm carb, ect ...)

I have a friend that owns and runs a repair shop. His rule is every car gets diagnosed within 24 hours excluding weekends and holidays. If they can't figure it out in thatamountof time they stop wasting the customer's time and admit they can't diagnoseit. The shopnever builds up a row of basket cases, and now that the techs know the rules almost nothing goes undiagnosed. If I ever own abricks and mortar repairfacility this will be my rule too.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

That reminded me, when I did my carb mods, I loosened the GND cable for the starter. The bike turned over, but would not start. The wires for the starter became warm. That was the only thing that led me to the fix. Once i tightened the wire, the bike fired right up ,but before the wire was tightened, it almost seemed like the bike was trying to start on a low battery. i mean it would turn over, but it seemed a little slower than normal. ie "Is the motor turnign over at a reasonable speed?"..just thought I'd share..you never know.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Adaycj, maybe i will print out your reply and take it down to the sho pand have them respond to each question, seriously. I know little about my machine, but i would think that the shopo could start narrowing it down fairly quickly and it doesn't seem like they want to commit any info to me about what is taking place behind their garage door.
Mudjunkie, I gave them a new iridium plug to swap out when I dropped th bike off in case the one on the bike was not passing, in hindsight i should have checked it myself. i didn't think this was going to be the drawn out process it has turned into. And the bike turns over just fine, everything sounds and functions as it should until it needs to start which is early in the whole bike running process, but it did not seem slower to me and there is no actual starting. When i take my finger off the started expecting the nike to begin running thatn nothing happens, almost like the engine doesn't want to fire and run on it's own. Does that make sense?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

does our bike have a crank sensor? I thaught only electronically controlled motors do so they know when to put fuel in.... What sensors does the klx have? I thaught it was just a TPS....
My bad. Looks like it doesn't actually have CPS, but a stator coil pick leads.

Now I gotta go look and really confuse myself.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dacoontz

A it doesn't seem like they want to commit any info to me about what is taking place behind their garage door.
I would put money on them not knowing anything and not wanting to admit that they have no clue whats going on..... Time to go pick it up.... Before the place i bought my bike went out of buisness i took it to them to see what the noise was and they didnt even look at it for 7 buisness days, so i went to pick it up, My bike was actually on the mechanics lift to be worked on the next day.... i said i didnt care and had them take it off and i took it to the next big mistake dealer.... So i took my bike right off of a mechanics lift, i dont tolerate that crap.....

Old 03-10-2008, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree with EMS. Its time to pick up the bike and bring it to another dealer.3 weeks is too long! They don't know what they are doing!!! The first clue is when they said they changed the main jet, If the bike was running fine one day and wont start the next its not because the jet went bad overnight. If they said we checked the jets to make sure they weren't clogged I would havebeen OK with that but soon as he said they put a new jet inI would havegotten my bike out of there. Good luck..... Keep us posted

Old 03-10-2008, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

That does sound a little squirrely doesn't it. I'll give them until Wednesday then pick it up, I have to work until then anyway. Damn onestar, that picture is distracting.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ya know what i did..... call every day... they love that.... it got to the point where the girl who answered the phone knew i was gonna call and she already had an answer from the "mechanic" [:@]

Quick Reply: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next