Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Default RE: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

Did you try to use a high amp charger to jump start it maybe you cooked the stator. Is the shop saying you got spark?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:31 AM

I would check the kick stand kill switch and also check the wire harnesses under the seat. These have both been a problem for me in the past and caused similiar problems...

Old 03-09-2008, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

From talking with the service manager it sounds like the electrical system is okay, but he wasn't specific. I can't remember the bike running after the LED install, but I believe it ran once very briefly after the oil change. I have not tried starting it with a high amp charging unit. I will check the kill switch on the kickstand and the harness under the seat. Maybe I tweaked the kickstand from leaning it over all the time while trying to start it, who knows. Isthe harnessin a particular spot under the seat or is it pretty obvious to spot.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey dacoontz, what shop did you take your bike to? Was it plazacycle?

Old 03-09-2008, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Why yes it was, and to be fair they seem to be trying to fix it, but it seems to be taking a long time and they haven't be telling me much.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

With kawi as long as its at a kawi dealer they dont care..... and the original deal told me some crap that most shops wont take warranty work and "i might even hear it from him" that they will tell you they cant look at it for 3 weeks.... thats BS, The shop doesnt care, they are still making money, not AS MUCH as if it were a paying customer, but they still are, I asked. My situation sucked because i bought my bike at a dealer that happen to go out of buisness, so my bike has been to 3 dealers to get worked on.

Originally what was wrong.... mmm.... i try no to think about that tramatic experience of my life, lol, Well it was making a wrapping noise at idle and there was a rattling sound about 4500-5000 rpm and just at that rpm. That rattling was the balancer gear came apart in side the motor, so the second shop had to completely tear the whole motor down to fix it, the part was broken was the last part to take out when disassembling the motor. So i get it back, and the loud wrapping was still there, and i think everything from now on was the stupid mullet man "mechanics" fault... I TOLD him i think it was the timing chain, he said he checked that and it was fine, so he got to messing around and i guess thaught the cams were wearing the head funny, so he gets a new head, thats all... puts it all back together with all my old valves, then trys to start it and realizes the intake valves are bent... so it comes all back apart and he puts new intake valves in, Oh yea my exhaust cam was replaced because the ACR went bad too, so he gets the new valves in and gets it all back to gether and running and its still wrapping.... and gives it back to me!!!!! this is one of the many times i called kawi, and then took the bike back to them, and i had to because if i would have taken it to another shop and they replaced parts the first dealer did already i would have to pay for duplicate parts.... so back to them it went, and i told them to call kawi, guess what the problem was...... the ****ing timing chain, imagine that.... what i told him was the problem in the very begining, so i get it back sounds ok, runs good, and put 1000 miles on it and one of the intake valves just put in gets sucked out of the head, and the new shop comes to realize that the old shop never checked valve to head clearance, so even with the valves closed the piston was hitting the intake valves each revolution.... and the new shop actually has someone who knew what they were doing and caught that, after putting a new head, jug, piston, rings, all valves, i think thats it..... so at 7,000 miles i have a new motor pretty much, the only thing original from the connecting rod up on my motor is the intake cam. I think that pretty much sums up my problems...

BTW i have seen a saturn car that only takes 4 qts of oil drive into my oil change shop when i worked there with 8 yes 8 quarts of oil in it..... so too much oil wont make a motor not run.... unless you filled it up to the point that it wont take anymore..... it doesnt sound like that big of a problem... spray starting fluid in the carb and see if it runs on that for a min, if it does its a fuel issue, if not than there is probably and elec problem...... Come on, this motor is not complicated all it is a briggs and stratton for gods sake... get your bike outta that dealer...

Old 03-09-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Originally what was wrong.... mmm.... i try no to think about that tramatic experience of my life, lol, Well it was making a wrapping noise at idle and there was a rattling sound about 4500-5000 rpm and just at that rpm. That rattling was the balancer gear came apart in side the motor, so the second shop had to completely tear the whole motor down to fix it, the part was broken was the last part to take out when disassembling the motor.
That pharse worries me. I have that rattling sound around 4500-5000 rpms. [&:]. So far, nothing has happened. 'knock on wood'

As for dacoon's problem. Has the shop tried switching the ignition system? It could possible be a bad crank sensor.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Does the "shop" have a website? I think a few hundred e-mails from some of your buddies might give them the motivation they are lacking. Come one give it up, we are here for you.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

does our bike have a crank sensor? I thaught only electronically controlled motors do so they know when to put fuel in.... What sensors does the klx have? I thaught it was just a TPS....

Old 03-09-2008, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.plazacycle.com/Default.aspx

Quick Reply: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next