Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next

So it's okay to take it to another shop? I ask that because my original shop doesn't have the best reputation, I even heard that from another forum user who lives here in Salt lake.
No brakes, this is the bike that won't start.I have been going through the basics in my mind and Ikeep bringing it up with the shop but theydon't take real well to my suggestions. I know the battery is good, fuel was fine, I haven't done anything with the airintake system, and the onlythings I have done to my bikehas been to change the oil, and put on LED blinkers with the diodes in the circuits that Tony posted and they work fine.This may be a stupid question, but can you overfill the engine when changing oil and wouldtoo much oil create a problem? That's the only thing I thoughtI may havedone. The owners manual says 1.5 Liters of oil, but it sure seamed totake more than that to fill the indicator with the bike upright.
So EMS, what was your bikes problem initailly and what did they end up saying was the ultimate problem? It sounds like it was a carb or engine problem from what you have mentioned. And what was the tipping point that led to the shop figuring it out?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dacoontz
So it's okay to take it to another shop? I ask that because my original shop doesn't have the best reputation, I even heard that from another forum user who lives here in Salt lake.
Just callthe bestlocal dealer and tell them the truth....3 weeks .... nuthin done....should be simple repair...............Can I take my bike to your shop? If they are cool with the warranty rules...who cares.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

1--Just curious, but how much more oil than the recommended did you put in? Too much can be bad. Even though the manual states an amount and the bike may take more, I feel it's always best to put in the recommended amount, run the motor for a spell, let it cool and re-check before "topping it up". Also, if the bike is on it's kickstand, the oil will not be visible in the window,the oil shouldjust come to the top of the window as you stand your bike upright. I would definately check this.

2--I am also curious about the new LEDs you just installed.Did you disconnect the negative battery cable before installation?Or is it possible you may have tripped a fuse somewhere in the system that may be for part of theignition system? Just food for thought.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I did not disconnect the negative end of the battery when changing out those blinkers, where are the locations for the fuses? Although, electrically everything seemed to be fine, when pushing the start button it was trying to start but just ignition happening.
As far as how much more oil it is hard say, no more than another 1/2 liter, may be that is significant. And to be honest, when trying to start it, it felt like there was too much compression as if the engine was having too much trouble turning, kind of like if you had water in your cylinders(which I don't, but drowned my toyota pickup once and know how it feels). Anyway, would too much oil cause this type of scenario? I would think that the shop would have checked the oil or changed it through all this. But maybe not.
I think if it isn't fixed by them within a week or so I will take it to a more reputable shop in the South end of the valley.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I meant thatNO ignition happening. Like 3, 2, 1, no liftoff, because no start.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes a half-liter in that small engine is significant and would cause that "feeling". The crank has to turn through that oil, so more oil would make it harder to turn. Try letting some oil out and then try starting the bike again. Even if the oil is not to the top of the window, you should still be okay to start the bike, just top it up to the correct level afterwards.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll call the shop and make sure they check it out or just get my bike back and do it myself.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Just mention to have them check the fuses too. I think I read someone couldn't get their bike started and it was a fuse under the seat soemwhere and inside a black box? I believe tremor knows the details of that case..I can't find it.[:-]

Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Just called the shop, they said the electrical system looks fine all the way around. They seem to think that if a fuse was blown the lights and started would even turn, which they all seem to be functioning. They mentioned that they would look into the oil thing as well. Hope it helps.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

was your bike running fine, then you changed the oil/installed leds,then it wouldnt start? if so i would say something happened during the oil change or during install...did your bike run after you did the leds and/or oilchange?

Quick Reply: Shop can't fix my bike, what's next