Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:40 AM
Default Shocks

Any1 know how to make adjustments to the back shock??

Old 11-16-2006, 05:42 AM
Default RE: Shocks

I would like to compress the back shock more to make it more rigid

Old 11-16-2006, 06:16 AM
1st Gear Member

yep..get a screw driver and a hammer. Basically, looking at the rear shock from the side the fuel switch is on, you can see the ring the spring is up against, on the top side of the spring. On top of that is a metal, toothed lock ring. I'm sure there is a "proper" tool for this, but you can take the flat head and put it on these teeth, and then tap with the screwdriver. You want to loosen the retainer ring. Normal threads. Once that is loose, then you rotate the main, spring seat ring either the same way, or potentially by hand. To stiffen up the rear end, you can tighten the ring down on the spring. There is also the air canister that hangs right there. I've played with these a lot on mountain bikes, never a motorcycle - I assume the same concepts though. Some sort of pump could be used to put more or less air in the canister, which would likely control damping, as well as rate of compression. Just changing the position of the retainer ring, basically compressing more or less the spring if tighten or loosen will change how stiff things feel. Give it a whirl...takes a few minutes to make a change.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: UTRoss

yep..get a screw driver and a hammer. Basically, looking at the rear shock from the side the fuel switch is on, you can see the ring the spring is up against, on the top side of the spring. On top of that is a metal, toothed lock ring. I'm sure there is a "proper" tool for this, but you can take the flat head and put it on these teeth, and then tap with the screwdriver. You want to loosen the retainer ring. Normal threads. Once that is loose, then you rotate the main, spring seat ring either the same way, or potentially by hand. To stiffen up the rear end, you can tighten the ring down on the spring. There is also the air canister that hangs right there. I've played with these a lot on mountain bikes, never a motorcycle - I assume the same concepts though. Some sort of pump could be used to put more or less air in the canister, which would likely control damping, as well as rate of compression. Just changing the position of the retainer ring, basically compressing more or less the spring if tighten or loosen will change how stiff things feel. Give it a whirl...takes a few minutes to make a change.
The canister contains nitrogen. Unless you have the right gear I wouldn't touch it

Old 11-16-2006, 09:50 AM
1st Gear Member

use the search function for "suspension adjustment".. its 2:48 am and im to tired to do it for ya.. theirs some very indepth threads with detailed instructions and discussions on this subject.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

4.50pm Thursday here

Old 11-16-2006, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Check on how to set the sag. Basically the bike should compress by 1/3 of the total travel when you sit on it. Check out the procedure in one of the adjustment threads.

ORIGINAL: M_O_Z

Any1 know how to make adjustments to the back shock??

Old 11-18-2006, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

So which dampens the bike rebound/compression more (ie better cushioning for landings) more turns out (counter clockwise) / higher clickes out from fully seated screw

OR

less turns out / closer to being fully seated (clockwise till seated)??

Old 11-18-2006, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

The reason I ask is that I'm pretty certian that less clicks out from seating means incresed dampening.

with the factory settings, which are way too soft IMHO, at 12 clicks out for rebound and 16 clicks out for compresion, I wonder why in this posting:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_29594/tm.htm
Seth, who was jumping his bike, went with what appears to be LESS dampening on his rebound adjustment with a rebound setting of 14 or two more clicks (less dampening) then the factory setting.

I have my rebound dampening set at 7 (vs the factory setting of 12) and my compression dampening at 8 (vs the factory setting of 16) so that it lands jumps better. (I also have my front fork dampening set to 4 clicks (vs the factory setting of 8) and I'm 190LBS w/gear.

Thoughts??

Old 11-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Not into dirt rides much, but what was your static and rider sag numbers? Could be the springs for your weight are the factor in your dampening question.

Quick Reply: Shocks