1st Gear Member
Default Shifter shaft

Is it easy to fix...........I hope?
on a 2007 klx250.
I snapped mine clean off yesterday

Old 06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Say that 5 times real fast.... shifter shaft.... lol.....

Oh, good luck with that...

Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it is easy. The the shift shaft is underneath that cover on the lower left side of the engine. Remove the countershaft cover and sprocket. there are several bolts with 8mm heads a single phillips screw and a nut with a 10mm head and the neutral postion wire. The cover can be a bitch to get off, there are two little tabs on the bottom of the cover I GENTLY tapped on those to loosen the gasket (make sure you have all the bolts, screw, and nut removed). There is a description of the whole process in the service manual (the 07 is the same as the 09). Once the cover is removed remove the center allen bolt for the shift drum cover and you should be able to lift the shift shaft assy out. Be aware of the shim that is at the base of the shift shaft. Read through the manual and then have at it. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Actually I think the shift shaft assy comes out without even having to remove the center allen bolt and cover plate on the shift drum.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

That sure is nice. I have owned at least one bike that required the cases to be split to replace that shaft. The XRs require the clutch side side cover to be removed along with the clutch assembly. The KLX looks to be a snap.

The very short shift shaft would also explain what seems like a lot of play in the shaft against it's axis. It's a pet peeve of mine to have a loose shift lever like when the splines wear out.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
That sure is nice. I have owned at least one bike that required the cases to be split to replace that shaft. The XRs require the clutch side side cover to be removed along with the clutch assembly. The KLX looks to be a snap.

The very short shift shaft would also explain what seems like a lot of play in the shaft against it's axis. It's a pet peeve of mine to have a loose shift lever like when the splines wear out.
I was very afraid of that.
Whewww glad it's not too hard/ EXPENSIVE

Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadglider
Actually I think the shift shaft assy comes out without even having to remove the center allen bolt and cover plate on the shift drum.
Awesome, thank you

Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I just noticed the oil drain plug is right there too, do I need to drain the oil before I pull that cover off?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I would but if you lay the bike over on the right side you don't have to. I drained it because 1) It's less messy and 2) I didn't want to leave the bike laying over while I waited for the parts to come in, and 3) it needed changing anyway.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Parts came in yesterday and I fixed it this morning before the heat.
Thanks for the help.

TIME TO RIDE

Quick Reply: Shifter shaft