shifter adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 05:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default shifter adjustment

I have an 09 klx 250s. Finally got my riding gear. Sat on the bike, ya it won't start. lol. My MX boots have too high of a toe making it hard to get my foot under the shifter. I can do it, but i gotta think about it. I see it was an allen key screw that looks like I can adjust it up alittle. Can I do this, or will it cause shifting problems.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I got the welder at work to make the shifter a bit longer. Stock it was too tight with the MX boot, too much chance of the boot getting stuck in there.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by treerat
I have an 09 klx 250s. Finally got my riding gear. Sat on the bike, ya it won't start. lol. My MX boots have too high of a toe making it hard to get my foot under the shifter. I can do it, but i gotta think about it. I see it was an allen key screw that looks like I can adjust it up alittle. Can I do this, or will it cause shifting problems.
Can do. I got my klx with 4 different shifters in varying lengths. One requires going up a spline on the shaft for my boots. Had the same issue with a new set of boots a couple pairs ago.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Went up two splines on the shaft and have no issues when riding with gear on. Have to take my foot off the peg to down shift but no real problem there.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i got a new msr shift lever for a xr650r and its longer, plus i bumped it up a spline, its rough with my size 14 mx boots.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
i got a new msr shift lever for a xr650r and its longer, plus i bumped it up a spline, its rough with my size 14 mx boots.
I did the same as EMS - it took a couple of rides to get used to but works a treat. Potential problem with it in that it sticks out quite far, so installing a brake-snake to prevent it being folded back is a good idea.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, i went out to try to move it up some....... Ya, i found the only tight bolt on the bike. Ended up rounding the head of the bolt. Not too bad yet, I might be able to get it out with some heat I hope. This bike is already starting to **** me off.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Careful with the heat...there's a seal going into the case I believe.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Moving the stock lever up one or two splines worked for me with my boots. It feels different at first but you will get used to it. If you use a box end wrench you won't have any problems with rounded off fasteners. I don't know if you know this, but you have to take the bolt completely out of the shift lever before you can take the shift lever off the splines. Good luck .
Dan

Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I moded my shifter to be held on by a nut and bolt. The first time I removed the shifter bolt I noticed it was stretched and bent, right from the factory. I drilled out the threads and put in a longer better grade bolt with a nylock nut. A bit more fiddly but the shifter is clamped onto the shift shaft a lot better, no chance of stripping the threads in the shifter because there aren't any.

Quick Reply: shifter adjustment