Shift Star Mod Install ISSUES???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kawi Wawi
That was me that had problems - I posted a couple threads on it...
I ended up grinding my own shift star in the end (copying the FSW star as best I could), and it worked well.

Remember if your neutral indicator is not coming on at the right time, then the lockout circuitry had better be disabled, otherwise you may not be able to start the bike. There is a circuit which disables the starter when not in neutral.
I could be wrong, but I think that the neutral/starter disable circuit is all tied into the clutch lever. When I put a new shorty lever the bike would only start when it was in neutral(which was a real pain on the trails). I then bypassed that circuit and the bike will now start in any gear with the clutch in or out. So I would think that the neutral indicator on the star only serves the purpose of the indicator light if you have that circuit bypassed. And if your running a Vapor with no light it serves no purpose.

While were on the topic of shift stars, has anyone put one from an 09 in the 06-07 yet. I saw them from Ron Ayers for around $20. I was going to get one and see if it would fit but never got around to it yet. It would be a cheap alternative if it would fit.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Just a question regarding the neutral indicator???

I have not buttoned this up yet...That being said, my bike would start in any gear before I did this mod. I never had to have it in Neutral as long as my cluch was pulled in.

So...what do you all think about that? Would the neutral indicator still have anythign to do with it?

Thanks,
Im going to call Jerry regardless but I like the feedback!!!

MAXXX

Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IQOUTLAW
Just a question regarding the neutral indicator???

I have not buttoned this up yet...That being said, my bike would start in any gear before I did this mod. I never had to have it in Neutral as long as my cluch was pulled in.

So...what do you all think about that? Would the neutral indicator still have anythign to do with it?

Thanks,
Im going to call Jerry regardless but I like the feedback!!!

MAXXX
Anytime the kickstand is down and the clutch lever is out, the engine will die. You won't be able to let it idle in nuetral with the clutch lever out and kick stand down because the system will think you are in gear.

To get around this, just bypass the kickstand switch.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

right, I was confused... The lockout circuitry is in two places - kickstand switch and clutch lever... But doesn't it also matter what gear it's in? Naw - guess not. If clutch is in and kickstand is up, it will start regardless of gear.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

So not to beat a dead horse bt where is the kickstand lockout circuitry??????

Thank you all in advance,
maxx

Old 03-31-2009, 05:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Connection is under the seat. Trace the two wires from the switch to the plug, disconnect and join the two plugs left on the bike. (Not the two going to the switch. Remove those with the switch.)

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 03-31-2009 at 05:56 AM.