Shaved off 5lbs. in five minutes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Bike wasnt designed for that, i have never heard of it, am i going to trust that someone ive never met says that this weird battery not made for a dirt bike will work, or will it fail me 13,000' on the top of a mountain... It just doesnt make sense to me. If you are really concerned about the 5lbs go buy a two stroke or a husaberg race bike. The klx is a DS.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
Bike wasnt designed for that, i have never heard of it, am i going to trust that someone ive never met says that this weird battery not made for a dirt bike will work, or will it fail me 13,000' on the top of a mountain... It just doesnt make sense to me. If you are really concerned about the 5lbs go buy a two stroke or a husaberg race bike. The klx is a DS.
Fair enough.
I'll roll the dice and try it out.. but I would never be in the same situation with my KLX250SF as you (I don't use it for extensive dirt riding).

Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the same thing for the same reasons. Kind of leery without seeing a long proven track record from many users.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

One of those batteries cost 95$ normally..... are you really going to buy one of those from china or where ever it is made, with lesser materials? I wouldnt trust it, what if it fries your electrics on your bike?

Plus those batteries are made for remote control helicopters and planes, are the designed for constant charging or just a charge then full drain?.... there is a reason there are "motorcycle batteries"

This is what those batteries are designed for.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14t5cCAA3U

Last edited by EMS_0525; 01-17-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

One of those batteries cost 95$ normally..... are you really going to buy one of those from china or where ever it is made, with lesser materials? I wouldnt trust it, what if it fries your electrics on your bike?

Plus those batteries are made for remote control helicopters and planes.... there is a reason there are "motorcycle batteries"

This is what those batteries are designed for.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14t5cCAA3U

Yes, I know that.
But the M/C ones are basically the same thing.
I would be willing to bet that they are almost identical in material.
I would go even further and bet that the M/C specific ones (EVO2, etc.) are made from parts manufactured in China.. but assembled elsewhere.

I have bought bar end mirrors from China for $9 shipped, that were IDENTICAL to the CRG mirrors that sold for 6X more. (I know it doesn't compare completely to the situation at hand)

Zomby seems to be pretty happy with his purchase. So I hope I have the same results (and no fried electrical system.. fingers crossed!)

Zomby how long have you had your A123 for?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I know for a fact that my 44$ battery mart Motorcycle battery will not cause me any problems. Thats why i got it.... could care less about 5lbs..... There is 5lbs of mud on my bike sometimes....

Old 01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I know for a fact that my 44$ battery mart Motorcycle battery will not cause me any problems. Thats why i got it.... could care less about 5lbs..... There is 5lbs of mud on my bike sometimes....
I hear you and understand 100%!

I'm just a special kind of CHEAP!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

zombys battery is lithium... its actually better for cold, and has better
charge characteristics as lithium doesnt have memory issues or stuff of that nature, and its energy mass density is much better, its just not ideal for massive amps like the starter on your bike, and it has a less predictable failure mode, a cell can go bad overnight somethimes, not so true for a lead acid battery as long as you keep em charged up above 80%. I think its safe to try em, and they probly work decent, but the random cell death has caught me wrong a few to many times to trust it as mentioned for say a mountain climb... but then again its a dirt bike... point it down the hill in 2nd and pop the clutch lol.

Last edited by LikesToThump; 01-17-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matasickle
I hear you and understand 100%!

I'm just a special kind of CHEAP!

Im open to others opinions, but just sounds to risky to me..... hope it works for ya. Good job thinking outside the box though, im always impressed with what people come up with.

Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Lightweight cheap battery (al la Zomby's) + Kickstarter = Win.

Thats the route i am going, though my bike has been fast becoming my primary street ride so your needs may vary.

Quick Reply: Shaved off 5lbs. in five minutes!