From sewing machine to Thumper!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default From sewing machine to Thumper!

I love this bike, except for the way it sounded. Well, that is no longer an issue! Finally got the exhaust gasket I needed to install my KLX300 muffler.
No real change in performance, other than it finally sounds like a thumper!
Not too loud, but definitely louder and much throatier sounding. I like it, a lot.
A couple pounds less as well, which is always a good thing.
Put a CNC'd tip and back fire screen on it for $35.
Next up - re-jetting, better flowing air filter, and a KDX snorkel. I'm also going to swap out the 14t cs for a 13t. I hate thinking I'm having engine trouble, only to find out it's a headwind.
Going to ride her to S. Carolina in a few weeks for some vacation time with my brother and his new wife. 2200 mile round trip=lots of gas stops! Going to attempt an Iron Butt run on the way down.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Fun bike, yeah I installed a 98 decibel exhaust, thumper is sounds like indeed!!! grumble!!!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

2200 miles and highways on a klx? U have ***** of kryptonite my friend!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

No, I have a need and a broken car.
I need to sit on a warm beach and hang out with my family and friends. Tired of the cold and suffering cabin fever. It was 10º F this morning, again or still. Charleston will be a very nice change, even if just for a long weekend.
And 4-5 days on the bike will reset my bull**** meter at work, which right now is off the charts.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
*also going to swap out the 14t cs for a 13t. *I hate thinking I'm having engine trouble, only to find out it's a headwind.
Haha, you're right! A good strong headwind sometimes gets me concerned that the motor is seizing or the brake is dragging; that's exactly what it feels like. I have the 13T and it definitely helps, but I still find that I can be ground right down to 80kmh (50mph) in top gear WOT if I encounter the perfect storm of an exceptional headwind coupled with an incline...

Old 03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Haha, you're right! A good strong headwind sometimes gets me concerned that the motor is seizing or the brake is dragging; that's exactly what it feels like. I have the 13T and it definitely helps, but I still find that I can be ground right down to 80kmh (50mph) in top gear WOT if I encounter the perfect storm of an exceptional headwind coupled with an incline...
That's miserable

Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Get ready for maximum wrist bending. You'll realize just how much throttle cable this bike has since you'll be at WOT so much.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

No more than usual.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Enjoy Charleston. There is a lot of serious war history going on there - good eats as well-I know the bike will make it. From some spoof kung fu movie "total concentration". I hope you have great weather and can manage to stay warm. I rode a ten speed from FL to NC as a teen and a 75 Z1 with a stock seat to Pa in my 20s. Whatever was iron in my **** then is more like bursitis and a grill fire now.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
That's what the other gears are there for...

Quick Reply: From sewing machine to Thumper!