<---Serious Noob Tard Alert!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default <---Serious Noob Tard Alert!!!

You wouldn't believe what I did. Well first of all my bike is a magician,..it can make its oil disappear without visibly burning it or leaking it. There is NEVER a puddle under it in the garage, however it does seep it out of the oil fill cap. And the plug is a light pink..so shes clean, and its not dripping from the exhaust either. Yet last year...end of summer, early fall, when the temp was high, I noticed the sight glass was empty once :0 Filled it up, no ill effects.

Well last time I rode the bike it was on the warm side. And I checked the sight glass not all that long ago mind you. Well, today was a busy day, had work, then I went to the range with my dad and did some shooting, then I came home and wanted to get an hour or two of riding in before it got dark. So I was in a hurry (tisk tisk), I hop on the bike and it will NOT start. This has never happened before. I look at the sight glass and she's empty!! So I fill it with oil and it starts right up.

At this point I'm very mad at myself for being neglectful. So then as if thats not bad enough, 20 minutes later I'm buzzing down this dirt road/trail back to the strip mine (see last weeks ride report from me) And the bike gets REALLY LOUD. I'm thinking "No freaking way", I look down,...no can!!

Took me 10 minutes to find it, its in the weeds and its dinged up on the end (I can straighten it), paint is chipped off and its full of rocks and dirt. So I straddle it on my legs and of course its filthy, so now I am too. And I'm trying to balance it on the way home for the approximate 7 mile ride home. I kept the throttle at like 3 grand to keep noise down. Its not as loud as I thought it would be, but still damn loud. The bike seemed to run fine so I figured the short ride shouldn't burn it up....at least not too bad. If not, F@ck it if it can't take a joke

what an evening.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you're havin' some fun.
Loctite!

Old 06-15-2009, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm guilty of not checking oil that often. BUT, I never had to top up betwee oil changes. Which I do every 2000 kms. maybe if I was losing oil somewhere maybe I would check more often tho. when i remembered that is. For some reason I like to learn the hard (expensive) way first. As for crap falling off well I consider that normal! so bacically it was a regular day. Happy riding and remember-----the main thing about losing parts is finding em.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine's been blowing it out of the cam cover so bad I've been watching the sight glass and I've added a splash once or twice. I rack up so many miles I change the oil damn near every month or two at most.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I had to dump so much oil in mine...what do they hold on a full change? Isn't it like 1.25 quarts or something? I didn't look for sure, but I think I dumped in at least half, probably 3/4 of a quart.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Check around your airbox, might be being burned / pushed out the breather due to excessive blow-by maybe?

Old 06-15-2009, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking that but wouldn't you think the excess when not being burned would run over the overflows? If so,..theres never a drop on my floor.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah I don't know. I was thinking if it is being vaporized by blow-by and then fed into the carb intakes, most/all of it might be being burned up and then out the exhaust without much visible evidence.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

My guess would be bad rings but the bike would have to have been smoking pretty good at start up for a long time to burn off all the oil.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, it would...and I know all about that. I once had an XR200, burned 1 quart of oil every 14 miles. I was like the Batmobile when the smoke screen is activated.

Quick Reply: <---Serious Noob Tard Alert!!!