SELLING THE KLX250S: Another Rat Jumping Ship

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Default SELLING THE KLX250S: Another Rat Jumping Ship

Well, as much as I hate to be a pathetic sheep following the herd, I am doing just that. I have decided to sell my KLX250S.

It seems that folks have come up with several different reasons to sell their bikes. Nobrakes fell in lust with a KTM. Iowaguy and a couple of others wanted some more power. My reason is a little different.

I love the bike and love the offroadability of it. It is plenty of bike for my skill level, sometimes moreso I would say. The problem is, I almost never get a chance to go offroad. I have 4 small kids and when I have free time, I don't usually choose to spend it solo in the woods pretending I was 16 again. I wish I could do more of that, but I am pretty sure I am making the right choice.

Since I still want to have a bike for my daily commute, I am going to sell the KLX and get a KLR650. That way I can do longer-range adventure touring & camping when I do get the chance.

Anyway, here's the kicker. I am an extremely, extremely impatient person. Now that I have decided to make a change, I want to make it now. For that reason, I have already dropped my bike price down from my original asking. I listed it locally on Craigslist about a week ago for $4100. I have since dropped that down to $3700. Just between you and me, I will let someone have it for as low as $3300 if it will help it sell quickly.

I already have my eye on a few KLR's in the area. Kawasaki has updated that model for the first time in 19 years with a new model coming out now for the 2008 model year. That is driving a lot of used bikes onto the market, so that's good for me. That's why I can afford to take such a hit on the KLX to move it quickly.

This is a long way of asking if any of you jokers want a great deal on a 2nd bike or know someone that does. I suggest you talk a friend into getting my bike so that you can get that riding buddy you have been wanting.

I will post a reply to this message with details and pics.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Default RE: SELLING THE KLX250S: Another Rat Jumping Ship

The bike is in great shape with about 4050 miles. I changed the oil and filter at 20 miles, 100 miles, 600 miles, 1200 miles, 2800 miles and 4000 miles. 600 mile service done by an independent shop.

BTW, if anyone in the Northeast is interested, I will be willing to deliver it to the NJ rally.

Some upgrades to the bike: [ul][*]Full Muzzy exhaust[*]KLX300R tank & shrouds (increased the fuel capcity from 1.9 to 2.8 gallons)[*]Utah Sport Cycle skid plate[*]Large aftermarket pegs (IMS/Moose - unsure of brand - bought on Ebay)[*]Cheng Shin C858 tires front & back (about 1200 miles on them, 2500-3000 left)[*]Tusk Raptor bars (higher than stock)[*]Moose handguards & shields[*]Basic carb rejetting[*]Replaced front & rear sprockets (14/42 --> 13/45)[*]Kouba T-handle fuel screw (greatly improves adjustability of fuel/air mix)[*]Acerbis dualsport tail light[*]Pelican 1400 case as tailbag (I'd like to keep this, but I will include if the buyer wants it)[*]Rim locks front & back[*]Heavy duty tubes front & back[/ul]I will deliver within a reasonable range from Winston-Salem, NC

If interested, call my mobile at 336-926-6492.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

<thread hijack>

I'm a little slow, the KLX 300 tank fits? With what mods? Thanks

<end hijack>

Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

So does this mean you won't be at the rally, or would you go with a KLR?

Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Chris...Don't feel the least bit bad about "swapping" for the KLR. As you know, I LOVE mine! For your needs I'd say you're on the right track. Like others have said...the KLX is a great offroad bike that you can ride on the street....the KLR is a great street bike that you can ride offroad. I'm ordering some 1" lowering links for mine...then it'll be perfect.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 PM

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

So does this mean you won't be at the rally, or would you go with a KLR?
No, I am going to have to miss the rally in NJ now. I am toying with the idea of going to a big KLR rally in TN the weekend before. Either way I am not a go for NJ anymore.

I will miss meeting all of you guys, but I'm 100% in "sell the KLX" mode right now. Send any interested parties my way. I am open to delivering the bike anywhere that I can drive to and from in a day.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 05-12-2007, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: KLXer

<thread hijack>
I'm a little slow, the KLX 300 tank fits? With what mods? Thanks
<end hijack>
Yep, it fit with no problems. The IMS tank that you hear so much about is actually for the KLX300R I think (I could be wrong on that). Anyway, the mods to get the IMS tank to work (as detailed in previous posts by bmwhd and Nobrakes), are exactly the same steps that I used to get the KLX300R tank to work. It's very simple really. You just have to:
[ol][*]Remove the radiator fan[*]Reroute all of the wiring running between the front & back of the bike.[*]Remove one or two small wire guides[/ol]That's really about it. Nothing hard or tricky, just a little time consuming. If I had to do it again it would only take and hour or two though. The first time it probably took me 3 or 4 hours just because I was going very slow and triple-checking everything that I did.

Good luck if you decide to do it. I can save you the trouble and just sell you my bike with the tank mod already done.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Good luck on the sale be sure and post pic of the new bike [8D]

Old 05-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I think Finger Mullet ought to buy this bike. I'll bring it to the NJ ride with me, he can fly up, ride the weekend, ride with me back with me as far as Raleigh NC, rent a u-haul and haul it the rest of the way back down to FL.

Quick Reply: SELLING THE KLX250S: Another Rat Jumping Ship