Sell me on the KLX250s - enough power ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 01:41 AM
Default Sell me on the KLX250s - enough power ?

I really llike the looks of the KLX250s, and I want to buy a bike that I can use to zip around town and go offroad, trails, minor jumps, nothing hardcore. 50/50 street& dirt, playing around on, basically just a fun bike.Is this it?

My only hesitation is, does the bike have enough power? I already have a street bike so this would be strickly for fun. The KLX seems to have a good following, but seems to be a love it or dis it kind of vibe going on.
Great site...thanks!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Sell me on the KLX250s - enough power ?

Ride it see if it suits you, it's a mild mannered 250.

If you're like most people then it won't have enough power and you'll be looking to squeeze a few more ponies out of it, but then again most people do that with 1100cc sport bikes.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

it's been my observation that most people who describe the type of riding the want the bike for, just as you have, are dissapointed with this bike after they buy it. it looks faster than it really is.i'm not ******* the bike cause i love mine but this ain't no 2stroke. it'll get up and boogie it just won't pull your arms out of the sockets. on single track it'sacceptable but once the trails open up to 2track or dirt roads mostbikes willjust walk away from it. your best bet is to get a test ride.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:33 AM

I'd love to try one first. I'd know within 15 minutes if it was the right bike.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Gotta say the klx may not be for you. Take a look at the ktm 2-smokes, you can plate them in almost every state.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

First let me say I love the KLX!! Stock It will Be a great trail bike. Yes it is not the most powerfull--You can make it that way Kawi has a set up to add 7hp to the bike. ( this service bulletin was in a thread on this site awhile back) as well as many afternarket products Sidewinder says they make a Chain that is called a "smart" chain That is supposed to give you a 3hp gain (Sidewinder gaurentees this) as well as gearing, Big bore kits and such. Or You could get the new yammi, KTM EXC-R(Already street legal), Husky TE450 or 610 many options you have!!(ooh I feel like i am cheating on my KLX for suggesting this). I found a Yammi add a long time ago on the japanese website. Yamaha really knows how to do comercials this one has not been posted yet. Kawasaki should do this for the KLX!!!!
http://video.google.com/videosearch?...=&start=10

Go to the vid called The "newWR250R" it is approx 9 vids down on the list it is 3min and the picture on the link to the vid shows a birds eye view of a dirtroad!! I hope you can find it I went directly to the vid posted the link and it took me back to my serch results and not the vid I wanted you to see!!

Kem

Old 05-16-2008, 04:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Between klx 250s or the honda crf230l i of course chose the klx. I'm 6'1 235 lb. I love the seat hight of 35 on this klx , i just wasnt comfortable on the crf230l 32 inch seat hight. If your not tall you wont be able to set flat footed on the bike. I to was concerned about power but i talked myself out of a heavier 400 lines since it would add so much weight. I wanted the lightest dual sport i could get. The looks, the way the cables are managed on the klx blow the doors off of yamaha and suzuki models within same price range imo. Another reason why i didnt go Crf230l was the instruments. Omg i just freaking love the digital display on this klx. The clutch is very smooth to me , dont know about the honda though. Gas mileage, off first tank before reserve was 61 mpg for me, of course that was test riding around yard, neigbhorhood, some streetnot highway miles or constant speed, im sure ill get way above 70mpg if was all highway. The fastest i got it so far was 71, i stoped at that and didnt try to go any faster even though i could have. Thewind was up a little today because of passing storms and im just not comfortable yet going higher since im such a new rider. At 71 no vibrations,no wild steering,very smooth ride imo. I guess if i ever want to go higher than 70 i would get a wind shield to put on this klx, im just not use to the wind._) One of my wife's first comments was on how quite it was even when i was blazing 45 in the neighborhood. _)

noob , only 116 miles

Sudo

Old 05-16-2008, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX tweaked is a fun bike and does suit the not so serious. On tight trails shes very agile and forgiving which gives you alot of confidence when riding her. Its not a WR250 in the power department but the KLX is an enduro / trail which is what alot of people tend toforget. The KLX is a great comuter too.
Cheers!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

had two of them 06 - 07 like them the way the looked as long they can do 65mph good enuff for me.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: big lou

had two of them 06 - 07 like them the way the looked as long they can do 65mph good enuff for me.
thats the same with me, I recently looked at the yammi wr250, well i liked it and the dealer told me it had more power than the klx but i drove both and really liked the klx more. Yeah i cant stand flat footed on it but its whatever. As long as it would do 55 i was happy, and the gauge omg i freakin love the digi gauge!

Quick Reply: Sell me on the KLX250s - enough power ?