Seal savers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Seal savers

Has anyone here tried the seal savers on their forks? I ordered a set of black ones for my KLX as I had one fork leaking, which is now thankfully fixed!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Seal savers

Hey did you fix it your self? I have one leaking and am a little nervous as how to replace it (never done it). Mind explaining what you did? I also bought seal savers and am waiting to fix the leak before I put them on.

-Nick

Old 06-23-2008, 05:10 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Masson, have to tried the card trick yet? You take a business card and slide it up above the seal and rotate it and pull it back down. do this several times and itmight just do the trick. Its an old MX trick I learned at the track a couple of years ago.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Thankfully I didn't have to pull the fork apart! I did take both forks out though, flipped the one fork upside down and sure enough a small piece of dried mud wedged under the seal. I used a peice of 35mm film strip and it worked quite well. Put some new oil in both forks and took her out. I hit some jumps at my dads place and the seal does not appear to be leaking. I just received the seal savers in the mail so I will put them on tommorrow night.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I did the film trick but i think im going to do it again and again just to make sure. BTW Forks are my really weak link when it comes to bikes. None of my friends have ever done them either so I am really SOL when it comes to them.

Let us know how the seal savers work out when you get them on. Im sure they will be great.

Btw how do you fill them and what oil? (wow im noob lol)

-Nick

Old 06-25-2008, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought some Belray 5w oil. I have stiffer Moto Pro .42 springs, so thay advised to use 30ml or so less oil. The stock spec calls for 450ml of 5-7w oil according to the KLX manual. I had both fork tubes out so I drained each one. Just screw off the top cap, drain the oil, refill and tihgten the cap back on.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

when you drained the forks did you pump out the oil that was in the cartridge? i need to go to a heavier oil and was unsure as to how to get the old oil out.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes I did cycle the forks quite a few times to get as much oil out as I could. I also let them sit upside down for awhile to drain out as much as possible. I put the seal savers on last night, went pretty well for the most part. It's a bit hard gettin the bolts started for the top support for the fork guide, but I guess i could have just used longer bolts!

Old 06-26-2008, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Back Trailin

I bought some Belray 5w oil. I have stiffer Moto Pro .42 springs, so thay advised to use 30ml or so less oil. The stock spec calls for 450ml of 5-7w oil according to the KLX manual. I had both fork tubes out so I drained each one. Just screw off the top cap, drain the oil, refill and tihgten the cap back on.
Good stuff...whats the rule again with more oil vs less oil......more oil slower response, right or no. ..I got the .44s just a wee bit stiffer. What was you techique for measuring fork oil height and removing and adding.....I use a seringe with tubing ... lol.

Post a pic of the seal savers.....if its not too much hassel.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I didn't measure the fork oil height, I just took the 450ml recommendation minus the 30ml Moto Pro siad to take out. I could have used the 450ml recommendation but my buddy ordered my springs at the same time as his and ordered .42 springs instead of .40 by mistake! Use a measuring cup to add the oil and it works quite well no spills what so ever. I'm taking my bike up country this weekend, so i'll get some shots for you. Should be a good test as there is plenty of mud holes at the moment!

Quick Reply: Seal savers