Seal Savers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Seal Savers

Anyone use Seal Savers, if so how do you fit em on? with the fork guards... Regards

Old 04-27-2008, 02:14 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Seal Savers

Hey Flood, I can't believe 33 people read this and have nothing to offer to you. Seal savers are one of those inexpensive mods that can prove to be one of the best investments in protecting your bike besides keeping oil in the engine. I see them on almost all of the MX bikes at the track, and they make two different types, the wrap around version, and the slip on which are harder to install, but in my opinion a better choice. Now all of that being said, I have not picked up a set yet. I'm still trying to get the Muzzy re-pack coming, so I think after that the seal savers will be next. Also Another good low cost investment is a shock boot for the rear, it is a simple mod that keeps mud and grit out of what can turn into at least a $500.00 repair bill. Both are on my mental list, but right now, I'm so broke I can't pay attention. But soon.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

If you have short arms and deep pockets you could just use an old tube and cut sections out.
MTB tube for the forks and a bike tube for the rear shock. A couple of cable ties on top of the fork ones, you won't need any for the rear shock, just stretch it over. Just make sure you leave a .5 inch gap top and bottom for water to drain out. (For my shock, I've used the sleeve out of an old wetsuit, cut to size.)
Money saved. Buy beer.[sm=partyparty.gif][sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya, i'm probaly gonna get the wrap around kinds, both of my fork seals are leaking on my bike , and not even 900 miles, not sure if that is under warranty , but it pisses me off, so i need to make the life of the seals longer!!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow! I got 7300 miles on my bike and the seals are still holding up. But then again I keep my bike clean......but then again you guys already knew that right? [8D]

Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

What is the film trick? anyone know what that is?

Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Flood_33

What is the film trick? anyone know what that is?
Yes and in fact I got to see it in action at the MX track last year. What you do is take a thin plastic card (like from a deck of cards) or a business card, curve it to the tube and slide it up through the seal and walk it around the seal and pull it out occasionally, this sometimes works to get out a tiny piece of grit that is stuck in the rubber that is allowing oil to leak out. I have heard that it works great, as long as it's not been too long leaking.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I actually carry a few business cards in my repair kit, works great. My WP forks on my adv seem to be much more leak prone than the klx, but I've had a couple leaks on the klx before.

Check out this ADV thread. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=Fork+seals

Oh deej, beating the snot out of your klx and burying her in sand and mud tends to cause leaks, not how well I clean her when done.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

pop the dust covers and pack with liteweight grease, 10 minutes, heard of problems with the seal savers.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya the problem i have is i treat my bike like a damn off road bike most of the time. I ride 20% highway, 80 mud/dirt/whatever . I need something to save me money and my seals!!! so i gotta get some seal savers.. i'm gonna try the business card trick is there a way to check the lvl of oil in my forks , see if i need to add any?

Quick Reply: Seal Savers