Old 12-05-2008, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I did it myself not hard to do.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
I did it myself not hard to do.
Yeah, it looks really easy on the KLX.

I already have the damper and brackets. My KX250F style front fender comes-up a bit high and D-tracer headlight mounts differently than the KLX (single screw in the middle), so it will take some additional mods on my part.

Might as well wait until I install the KLX450 headlight before messing with the damper.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
I have the wer and back to center there's no res. I like mine works for me.
Sweet, good to know....I'm shopping one for my adv primarily but switch out to the klx when wanted is a consideration....are scotts and wer the only dampers that do this?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:00 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The damper I have is not a free-to-center design, but damps in both directions. Seems OK to me, but I've never tried a non-free-to-center damper to compare. I'd like to try a Scotts and see how it feels. I know the Scotts is popular. But I'm happy with the Motosportz, regardless. Not sure of others, but another popular damper is the GPR, but I don't know what method it uses.

http://www.motosportz.com/

Here's what Motosportz says about the two schools of thought on that:

http://www.motosportz.com/MZ-SLD-info.htm

- Non free to center. There are two philosophies to steering dampers. Free to center and not free to center. Some dampers only damp while going away from center, coming back they have little or no damping. Some dampers have the same amount of damping in both directions. There are pluses and minuses to both designs but we feel the damping in both directions design, if implemented right is the best, here is why. If you are in and corner and you hit something on the inside like a root or rock there is no damping force helping to keep you on track and your bars are free to whip back towards center. Also if you are in a rock garden and deflections are occurring from both sides, especially turning in a corner in a rock garden you are again left with no deflection protection from the outside to the center. Additionally when charging through a fast sandy whoop section and you start to swap a free to center designed damper is only going to control half that oscillation. A non free to center damper is in our opinion much better at high speed oscillation damping.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Yo Nobrakes, or anyone for that matter. One of my riding buds is looking to get rid of his underbar damper on his ktm300 xc-w......it is orange and I think it may even say ktm on it...not sure ... its one of those ktm hard parts things.

Anyone know what brand it is.. is it worth a damn and is it free to center....it would be sweet on my adv ... as it would raise the bars and damper at the same time.

Price is really right too....he's job hunting.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

It's probably the KTM Hard Parts version of the GPR damper:

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktmstore...tabilizers.htm

http://gprstabilizer.com/products

I believe the GPR is a non-free-to-center damper, this from their FAQ:

16. I've noticed that when I rotate my bars, left to right, the damper breaks free at the end of the stroke. Is my damper broke?
This is normal. Roughly 15 degrees off of “0”, or center, an internal mechanism called a sweep brake goes into effect. The nice thing about this is once you hit that 15 degrees going back the opposite way, you have dampening all the way back to center. We believe that there are rocks on both sides of the trail, not just one. Why have a damper that only works half the time? When returning to center, you might think that you would be fighting to go straight. This is the furthest from the truth. A properly installed/set up kit will function just like your stock bike (with out the damper), but have the added benefits of a GPR.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

The scotts unit is the most adjustable of all the damping units out there; GPR, TTR, WER, Elka, Precision, etc. Ohlins has a new one I seen at the motorcycle show yesterday but didn't find any literature on it.

I was asked by the rep at BRP, after riding with a stabilizer would you ride without one now? Honestly I would but not for very long.

The 08 Baja 1000 winning Honda CRF450 is equipped with a Scotts. The winning quad I didn't see, the Temecula Mtrspts quad had an Elka damper.

Last edited by RaceGass; 12-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
Why would I want to? oh yeah it's Induce ... but you know that

Good gawd Gerdy! It's very easy to induce. So much so that it can be done unintentionally. It's not like everyone is trying their darndest to induce a wobble, then rushing-out to buy a damper. Go ahead, roll your eyes again

Let's not forget that the primary purpose these are installed on dirtbikes is to reduce rider fatigue and arm pump.

Last edited by tremor38; 12-07-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a Scotts with BRP triple clamps and ride almost exclusively off road. It substantially helps it the nasty rocky sections, long whooped out sections, and does help some with arm pump and fatigue. I have arm problems that have somewhat limited my riding and after having one I will probably never ride without one again. I will say IMO, for off road, if you do not have your suspension set up properly the stabilizer would be a wast of money that should go toward the suspension first.